Is Ironwolf Advanced Health Management supported/used by unraid?

Ironwolf and Ironwolf Pro drives have an advanced health management feature where the NAS can start a health check.

This health check seams to be different from the SMART checks, but I do not know it. Is it?

This feature supported e.g. by Synology DSM, you can schedule runs of this health tests as you like.

I am wondering if unraid does in any way make use of this feature. Can someone please comment?

The background of the question is: The Seagate Exos drives (Enterprise segment, longer lifetime and warranty, faster) are currently cheaper than the Ironwolf drives. However, the Exos drives do not ship with the health check feature. So everything seems in favor for the Exos drives at this point in time, I am just holding back because of the health check feature.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I would not use the IHM feature as a purchase decision because if the drive fails it wouldn't prevent it from failing as far as I know from seagate owners with this feature enabled.

It could show up as healthy and then also fail.

EDIT: I know this is not the answer to the question, just saying...