error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Thanks for this thread and thanks @JesterEE. I've traced my issue to this thread.

I've been using this plugin to backup my VMs for a couple weeks now, but unfortunately I've found that this this is the cause of my server being unable to shutdown.

My unRAID was unable to shutdown and would freeze forcing me to hard kill the system, causing a parity check every time. I do not want to do this for an otherwise stable system.

Rolled back from 6.9.0-b1 to 6.8.3 didn't solve it.

Running in safe mode showed that everything worked, but I couldn't start my VMs due to the Unassigned devices plugin.

Uninstalling the VM Backup plugin solved the issue, and removed the error at startup.

Something in the VM Backup plugin is breaking the Hypervisor and messing with my bonded network connection.

From what I can tell, first there's the

"error: failed to connect to the hypervisor"

error: Failed to connect socket to '/varrun/libvirt/libvirt-sock' : No such file or directory"

image.thumb.png.83684289917e1ef224468f200a8bebcf.png

After this, I seemed to be getting some kind of trace error when shutting down:

image.thumb.png.d703a1a3f20a0b64f99a44c78760af20.png

More shutdown:

image.thumb.png.82243781cf4b7adab25dd91ae7a8e8c0.png

And finally stalls here forever (I've waited a day for this, and it didn't shutdown😞

image.thumb.png.6edb8005f19fb3d04ce742024a6cb215.png

Uninstalling the VM Backup Plugin fixed the issue, which is a shame because I use this plugin daily (Nightly).

Edited by KptnKMan
  • Like 1

Now I've also uninstalled the VM Backup Plugin. This uninstall fixes 3 issues for me:

1. this "error: failed to connect to the hypervisor"

2. Array stop not possible, stuck at "sync filesystem"

3. Install of habridge docker image not possibel with the following error:

Error: could not get decompression stream: fork/exec /usr/bin/unpigz: no such file or directory

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, JesterEE said:

I disabled all my plugins and restarted.  Then I enabled one plugin at a time and restarted till it popped up.  As soon as I turned on the VM Backup plugin it started happening.  I disabled all the other plugins and restarted (keeping the VM Backup plugin enabled) and restarted.  Still there.

Check with the VM Backup plugin support thread to see if there is any info on an update there.  If not, no, there is no "repair" and a reinstall won't help.

I can confirm that after removing VM Backup plugin, the error is gone on unRaid v 6.9.0-rc2

Edited by RusmanCool
  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 2:00 PM, KptnKMan said:

The plugin is broken and the maintainer has only in the last week communicated anything after a year of silence.

My advice is to either avoid completely or use the script version at your own risk.

Do you know if there is a fix for this yet? Im still getting this error with VM backup installed on v6.9.1

• 3 months later...
  • JorgeB locked this topic