New drives - wd or seagate

perhansen

Hi guys

First thing, i have been using WDreds for many years now, and have been quite happy with then.

Some of my WDreds have been spinning for almost 5 years now, and one just started throwing CRC errors, going from 2 to 7 now on 17.

So that definitely needs a replacement.

The plan is to swap both my paritys for larger ones, and then swap the old paritys with the falling ones.

The last harddrive I bought was the seagate ironwolf, but the specific drive was for important backup, so not data I use quite often.

Will the little faster speed in the ironwolf give my any advantage, in let's say in playing multiple plex streams? I know i need to change all data drives to iron wolf, to benefit from the speed. All my drives are right now placed in 3x3in2 drive cages and is working from 30-40 degrees. The speed in ironwolf 5900-7200rpm vs. 5400rpm in WDred will of course automatically provide higher temperatures and they are using more power. The power supply i use is a corsair 450W.

Will i be giving myself more problems by picking fast and more power hungry drives?

3 minutes ago, perhansen said:

and one just started throwing CRC errors, going from 2 to 7 now on 17.

CRC errors are a connection problem, most times the SATA cable, but it can also be the controller, backplane, etc, start by replacing the SATA cable, and note that the attribute doesn't reset, so as long as it doesn't keep increasing the problem is solved.

26 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

CRC errors are a connection problem, most times the SATA cable, but it can also be the controller, backplane, etc, start by replacing the SATA cable, and note that the attribute doesn't reset, so as long as it doesn't keep increasing the problem is solved.

Now that you are saying that, i recall to have heard that before :-)

I could easily swap two sata cables between two drives, to see if the error moves with it.

I need to order a new set of SFF-8087 LSI cables from ebay, if thats the problem.