upgrade from xeon to ryzen?

i searched a bit and found some old upgrade threads but didnt find too much info. may suck with the search tool. anyways i currently have a system with a xeon 1620 v2 thats quite old. i am considering upgrading to a 2700x which would be a completely different board, ram, cpu, and architecture. but i want to make sure my vm's stay intact due to having important gameservers running on them. is it as simple as just switching the hardware and booting from the usb and it will be back to exactly the same? but with more cores and faster speed ofcourse.

1 hour ago, orkid1989 said:

but i want to make sure my vm's stay intact due to having important gameservers running on them. is it as simple as just switching the hardware and booting from the usb and it will be back to exactly the same? but with more cores and faster speed ofcourse.

Although Unraid should transition with no problems to the new hardware as it is basically hardware agnostic this is not necessarily the case with the VMs.

• Make backups of any vdisks for the existing VMs.
  • Make backups of the XML definitions of your existing VMs.
  • If you are NOT passing through hardware then the transition is likely to be relatively easy and will probably 'just work'
  • If the software running inside the VMs does not like the new CPU you may have to redo them to a version that does.  Most modern OS will handle this switch but not all of them.
  • If you are passing any hardware through to the VMs then you are going to have to adjust their configuration to match your new hardware.  At the very least all the IOMMU mappings will probably change.  You may find that hardware you passed through on the old configuration has problems on the new one.