Ubuntu Desktop Freezing


Blairwin

Recommended Posts

I'm trying to setup a ubuntu desktop VM but I'm getting an issue where it freezes after a couple minutes.  I haven't even been able to finish installation because it freezes before I can install.

 

I'm running Bionic Beaver.  I looked at other solutions and nothing I've found has solved my issue so far.  I've changed cpu pinning, made sure I have bios setting correct.  I attached my diagnostics and XML file for my VM.

 

Any ideas on what might be the issue?

bernard-diagnostics-20200111-1443.zip ubuntudesktop.txt

Link to comment

A few things to try:

 

1)  UEFI boot mode.  Use OVMF instead of SeaBIOS.  See if that makes a difference.

2)  Try i440fx (instead of q35).

3)  Try setting the CPU to emulated instead of host-passthrough.

 

If none of those work, let us know and I can try to recreate the issue on our end.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, jonp said:

A few things to try:

 

1)  UEFI boot mode.  Use OVMF instead of SeaBIOS.  See if that makes a difference.

2)  Try i440fx (instead of q35).

3)  Try setting the CPU to emulated instead of host-passthrough.

 

If none of those work, let us know and I can try to recreate the issue on our end.

I just tried them all but no luck:

  1. I have it setup with SeaBIOS, it wouldn't even launch if I had it set to OVMF.
  2. No iteration of i440fx would work, all of them gave me this error.
    image.png.1e50ac2326c1de7271476f94e72cc7dd.png
  3. I updated it with emulation but it still didn't work.  Froze after a couple minutes after launch.
Link to comment
On 1/18/2020 at 1:28 AM, Blairwin said:

I just tried them all but no luck:

  1. I have it setup with SeaBIOS, it wouldn't even launch if I had it set to OVMF.
  2. No iteration of i440fx would work, all of them gave me this error.
     
  3. I updated it with emulation but it still didn't work.  Froze after a couple minutes after launch.

When changing BIOS and machine type, ALWAYS start a new template.

Link to comment
On 1/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, testdasi said:

When changing BIOS and machine type, ALWAYS start a new template.

Thanks for the tip I didn't know I had to do that with the machine type as well.  I started a new template, changed machine type to i440fx v4.2 and I'm still getting the same issue.  Still getting random freezing.

Edited by Blairwin
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was having this problem, but it's fixed now.
trying to install Ubuntu with Q35, OVMF..

All I did was recreated a new VM but with i440fx-4.2 instead of Q35 and it no longer freezes during the setup.
I wish Unraid was a little more descriptive on what all those machine type are..

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.