Unraid parity issues

orybrad

Hi, has anyone had an issue where when you start to perform a parity check , after and hour or so, it locks up the whole server and the only thing you can access is the main webui? Additionally mike will start to rack up read errors on certain drives each time. What is also strange about his is the errors being in the millions are all ok pay the same number.

14 hours ago, orybrad said:

Additionally mike will start to rack up read errors on certain drives each time. What is also strange about his is the errors being in the millions are all ok pay the same number.

I am assuming that you used a translator program to get this posting into English.  The three words that   BOLD and UNDERLINED   do not make sense in the English translation. 

Also attach the Diagnostics file with your next post.      Tools    >>>   Diagnostics     Please get the file while (or after) the problem has started.  List the disks which are showing any errors.

Lol no. This was my dumb phone and me being in a hurry. As far as the diagnostics, I cannot provide them due to the system locking up when this happens. I have managed to keep the system log pulled up while I happens and I am able to capture information that way. I will attempt this when the new parts arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I will enable this feature and capture the data as soon as I can. Possibly this Friday or Saturday. Right now the array is working without a parity. It’s a 62tb array, and almost full. With that in mind, it’s really scary to think that a drive would fail with no redundancy! While I am waiting I have been backing ALL of the data up to individual drives, takes a while but better safe then sorry.

Edited by orybrad

Here isa link to both the most common LSI models and OEM models that you should be looking for:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/69018-sata-controller-replacement-question-and-advice/?tab=comments#comment-630097

And then, there is this thread about flashing the LSI models and crossflashing the OEM models.  Note that there is now a WIKI on this topic which should have the information laid out in a more logical manner.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/12114-lsi-controller-fw-updates-irit-modes/

Edited by Frank1940

They stated the lsi 9211-8i should be plug and play. But “should” dosnt make me feel comfortable at all lol. I am not asking you guys to do research for me but what do you guys recommend and what do you you use for a controller ? I am looking for something that’s “plug and play”, don’t get me wrong ,I love a challenge as much as the next guy but this has become massive headache. At this point I just want something that will WORK!

Be a bit careful buying on E-bay.  LSI is no more.  The residue is now a part of Broadcom.  They are still making some cards but (apparently) are selling the actual controller chips.  Hence, there are a lot of counterfeit boards (claiming to be LSI be actually made by a third party) out there.  So vet your vendor carefully.  Buy from someone in your country.  Don't base your decision on price alone.  Used cards come to market when server farms are removed from service. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took your advise a purchased 4 lsi 9211-8i (pre-flashed to IT Mode), they are working great ! I went ahead and purchased 4 more and have plans to buy a couple more in the near future. Both of my unraid servers are about to be stacked to the limit with hdd’s lol