parity 1 - 2tb
Parity 2 - 2tb
disk 1 - 2tb
disk 2 - 2tb
disk 3 - 2tb
disk 4 - 2tb
disk 5 - 1.5tb

Cache drive - 240gb SSD

Yesterday my disk 2 died. I found a better deal for 3TB drives than 2TB, plus I want to increase capacity, kill 2 birds with one stone. From my understanding the replacing drive has to be the same size or larger, also the largest drive has to be a parity drive. I had a 2TB USB drive that I precleared and tried to add to disk 2, but got the message that the drive is too small??

How can I do this with 2 3TB drives? do I have to purchase a 2TB drive?  I would really hate to waste money on a 2TB drive, when I can get a better deal on a 3TB.

Sorry I am not very technical and I got lucky when I set this up that it came together without any problems and has been running problem free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Edited by rsam
typo
7 hours ago, trurl said:

Is that a shucked drive? Or are you trying to run with USB drives in the array? 

And how did you determine disk2 was dead? 

All 2TB drives may not be the same size, if they are using USB. 

hi trurl... thanks for the reply. 

I was trying to run the USB drive temporarily to replace the dead drive (disk 2) in the array so I could upgrade the parity’s to  3tb and then replace the USB drive with one of the 2tb parity drives. Is this not possible or advisable?

well the disk started make clicking noises and Unraid sent out a lot of alerts indicating there were a lot of errors and eventually Unraid removed it from the array. 

yes, I realized that now:). I would love not have to spent money on a 2tb drive, but it appears like I may not have a choice. 

thanks