Hard Drives visible in bios but not unraid

Hi guys-

Just purchased the pro version of unraid after trying it out for a month.  

Initial Build:

Fractal design R5

Ryzen 5 2600

Aorus b450 pro wifi

EVGA 750w supernova g+

16 gb of ram

PCI to sata III 8 port sata adapter

icy dock that converts my 2x 5.25 inch bays to 3x 3.5 inch bays

SSD Samsung evo 860 x 2 (cache drives)

12 tb drives x 2 WD whites for parity

8 tb drives x 3 WD reds for data (all in icy dock, data from pci/sata adapter)

With this build, I would be able to supply data from the 6 sata ports on the mobo and 8 sata ports on pci card for total of 14 drives.

This setup was working flawlessly for a month so i purchased the pro key 2 weeks ago and yesterday i wanted to move my 3x WD 10tb white drives from my old synology nas over to my build.

Initially, it recognized only 1 out of 3 of the new 10 tb white drives in bios and on unraid (see pic).  I tried the 3.3v tape on the other 2 drives and those are now seen on bios (see pic) but not in unraid.  

Also, weirdly enough, I am now not seeing the 3 8tb data drives in the icy dock in unraid when all 10 drives are plugged in (still visible in bios).  When I unplug the 3x 10tb white drives from the server, everything reverts back to normal and i can start the array without issue.  

It is functional, but would like to add more drives in the future (i want to add these 3x 10tb whites, and will have 3 open bays left).

I'm hoping there is an easy fix for this.  Any and all help is much appreciated.  

All drives visible.jpg

only 1 10 tb drive.jpg

chipset view after all drives plugged in.jpg

Edited by omartian
pics
11 hours ago, testdasi said:

As always: Tools -> Diagnostics -> attach zip file

Preferably with the 3 drives plugged in, detected in BIOS but not in Unraid.

Here is the diagnostics after all 12 drives are powered and connected.  They are all seen in bios, but if i connect them all, my 3x8tb wd drives in the icy dock are not visible/mountable, and only one of the 3x10tb wd drives is listed as mountable and able to be added to the array.  

nasgard-diagnostics-20200114-1921.zip

Disk controller problem

Jan 14 19:13:32 Nasgard kernel: ahci 0000:08:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

Jan 14 19:14:05 Nasgard kernel: ahci 0000:09:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

Jan 14 19:14:17 Nasgard kernel: ahci 0000:07:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!
Jan 14 19:14:18 Nasgard kernel: ahci 0000:0a:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Alright cool. Put in an order for 9207-8i. Hope that works. I know unraid spins only the drives it needs, but will cooking be an issue with this thing in my fractal r5 case?

Edited by omartian
Duplicate
Alright cool. Put in an order for 9207-8i. Hope that works. I know unraid spins only the drives it needs, but will cooking be an issue with this thing in my fractal r5 case?
If the HBA runs to hot, you can screw a small 40x10mm fan on the heatsink to keep the card cool. 46ee3860d1ac26f8ebbf563ad8b4d37a.jpg
1 minute ago, testdasi said:

Hmmm... cooking is never advised in a PC case. 🤣

You obviously don't remember then the original power supplies for the C64.  Transformer that ran hot to begin with the CBM decided to completely enclose in an enclosure that had no vents and fill up the case with epoxy 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, johnnie.black said:

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

What exactly do you mean with crossflashed?

Is it not possible to buy one of these cards to use it plug&play in a server?

1 minute ago, Toobie said:

What exactly do you mean with crossflashed?

It depend on whether the controller has RAID or IT mode firmware loaded into it (the cards can have either).   Unraid wants IT mode so if you get a card with the RAiD firmware then it can be cross-flashed to the IT firmware.   If you get one that already has IT firmware it is plug&play.