Multiple Monitors on a VM

Hi,

I seriously searched for a while now. But i can't seem to find the right (or any) answer. So please excuse me if i overlooked something and point me there!

I recently started experimenting with VM's on my Unraid server. It is an old PC so no "real server" hardware. (Intel i5-4670k and about 12gigs of DDR3 RAM)

Anyway, i want to migrate doing my programming work from my main PC (Windows, which is ofcourse very suboptimal for programming 😉) to a Linux (Ubuntu) VM on my unraid server. I got a Ubuntu VM to work, easy mode. But now comes the hard part.

I have a triple monitor setup for my main PC. I would like to have "the same" for my Ubuntu VM. The problem is, i do not know how to get it to work. I tried several different VNC clients. Spanning it "full screen" over all 3. Which just gives me 2 black screens and the main screen in the middle. Ubuntu is only detecting 1 screen (ofcourse??).

Where should i look? Configuring Ubuntu to trick it into using more screens? A good VNC viewer? Is it something on unRaid? Or do i need a non integrated GPU for this kind of stuff?

In a few days i will have a XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double Dissipation available, but it seems kind of overkill as i am not going to game on the server. I just want to work within a VM.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 5:44 AM, ghost82 said:

You may find this useful:

I'd just like to note that my experience was remotely connecting to a Windows10 VM via RDP from a macOS / Windows / Linux client.

When you are connecting TO Win10 VM via RDP, multi monitor is very easy when using the MS RDP client on macOS or Windows.  Remmina on Linux does not seem to handle multi monitor very well.  XFreeRDP (or something similar to that) is a CLI program that works ok with multi monitor, however it did not support scaling very well which was a show stopper for me since I have HiDPI displays.

I have not found a good solution to remotely connecting to a Linux VM using multiple monitors on the host/local PC to view the remote PC across all 2/3/4 monitors