"Update Available" not working for self-hosted docker registry

kylemart

Hey everyone,

I recently set up a private, insecure docker registry to store docker images used by my NAS. The idea being, I can work on private automation-related programs on my home dev box, build docker images for them, deploy the docker images to my private docker registry, and have Unraid detect the updates with a click of the "Check for Updates" button in the WebGUI.

There's a slight problem I'm running into, however.

I'm able to deploy the images to my private registry, and I'm able to pull down the images and run them as containers on my NAS, but Unraid won't detect available updates. The only way to get the update onto my NAS is to either: a) edit the container's configuration in the WebGUI so that it re-pulls the image and restarts or b) delete the container / image and create a new one. Since this isn't an issue with images hosted in docker hub, I'm currently just deploying my images into public repositories -- which works fine. That said, this isn't the ideal setup that I'm looking for...

Anyone know how I can get Unraid to properly detect that new versions are available in my private registry?

Thanks!

Edited by kylemart
16 minutes ago, Squid said:

Can you do a Force Update when the docker tab is showing the advanced view?

Ooh, wasn't aware of that option. Yeah, forced updates work.

Although it claims things are up to date (after clicking "Check for Updates"):

1758929922_ScreenShot2020-01-14at4_25_50PM.png.6b550d48fcd21ff88f63367a28f59057.png

Running a forced update indicates otherwise:

1197014076_ScreenShot2020-01-14at4_28_21PM.png.a4446052a32df6d71cba6c6f4ec12b55.png

Edited by kylemart
2 hours ago, Squid said:

If unRaid can't determine if an update is available, then it will always show up to date in order to limit support problems.  It's a bit of a toss up though if this is a bug report or a feature request to support private repositories via the GUI.

Hmm, that's a fair point. I guess it's more of a feature request than a bug then, especially if the intended use-case is for docker hub to be used.

I've noticed that, upon reboot, the /etc/docker/daemon.json file I created (via the command line) to allow insecure connections to my private repository disappeared. Seems as though my intended setup, in its current form, is even less compatible with unRaid than I originally surmised. I guess should private repositories become a supported feature, it would be nice if this configuration option (insecure repositories) were made configurable via the WebGUI and stuck after reboots. That's in addition, of course, to updating the implementation of the "update available" indicator to support private repositories. All-in-all, def exceeds the scope of a bug fix.

But anyway, thanks for the insight Squid! In the meantime I think I'll stick with public docker hub repositories. I'm not too worried if the images I'm creating for my NAS are public -- there's nothing sensitive or proprietary in them :)

Cheers!

Edited by kylemart
2 minutes ago, kylemart said:

the /etc/docker/daemon.json file I created (via the command line) to allow insecure connections to my private repository disappeared.

The Unraid OS runs in RAM. The OS is unpacked from the archives on flash into RAM and it runs completely in RAM. All the usual Linux OS folders such as /etc are in RAM. Only mounted storage persists. If you want any changes to the OS folders you will have to reapply them at each boot.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same experience mentioned here while trying to pull images from my GitHub-based repository. Unraid will never show that an update is available, but if I "force update" it will pull the changes just fine.

Having this feature work like expected for private repos would be a wonderful addition. 😌

• 2 months later...