Server Fails to Start After Update

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Yes you can.

however I would first try backing up your current USB stick and then recreating it with a fresh 6.8.1 install to see if it boots.    If it does you can then copy across the config folder to be back up and running with your configuration unchanged.   There seems to be a higher incidence than normal where writing the new release to the usb stick during an upgrade does not always write it correctly for the 6.8.1 release.    

Please let us know if this works.

Will do, thanks!

Not that I am aware. As I posted previously I developed the modprobe error after upgrading to 6.8.1. I followed Limetech's suggestion to rename the network-rules.cfg file and reboot. It didnt work. So I replaced the three bz files with those from a fresh download. My server has started but I cant access the UI.

So what should I do now?

I have downloaded the USB creation tool from the website and created a new USB. This works, it does not report the modprobe error, and I can access the UI.

I copied the config folder from my USB backup to the new USB. When I reboot I get the modprobe error. So I assume that means there is a problem in my existing configuration that occurred as a result of the 6.8.1 upgrade. When I re-image the USB it is once again usable.

It would appear that something in my existing configuration is not compatible with version 6.8.1.

I dont know how to proceed. I have created a new USB, confirmed it works, and copied over the reevant files as indicated here https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive

I have not put this USB into the system as I am not confident that I wont loose my data. Whilst I do have backups of critical materials I have a lot invested in my config.

The biggest challenge here is trying to figure this out without a copy of your system diagnostics.  Can you upload those here from your current flash that is having problems?  My guess is there is something in that configuration causing this modprobe issue.  To confirm its not anything specific to the flash device itself, you can make a full backup of your flash, then wipe the flash fresh, reinstall Unraid, and boot.  If no modprobe issue, then you can most likely rule out the flash device itself as the culprit and restore the backup.  Now it comes down to figuring out what on your flash is causing this problem.

Please share your system diagnostics so we can see (from the Tools > Diagnostics page).

Hello Jon, thankyou for your reply. I cannot access the UI currently, as a result I cannot access Tools-Diagnostics. When the O/S boots its not completing to the logon prompt. I downloaded a fresh copy of the USB creator from the website. I utilised a fresh USB to make an image, booted and confirmed the O/S loads and I can access its UI from another device. I copied the config folder from my existing USB, the one which gets the modprobe error, across to the new USB. I booted this USB but it stops at the modprobe error. I re-flashed it and I was able to boot with a bare O/S. I followed the instructions on the wiki about copying files over from the old USB to a new. I was able to determine that something in the plugins folder was causing the error. If I didnt copy this folder the O/S booted ok. When I copied it I kept getting the modprobe error.

I decided to re-image by original USB and copy over only necessary files, disk allocations, password related files, and shares. This worked and I was able to boot the O/S and login. I deleted my docker image. I added a number of plugins, community application, the dynmix ones, unbalance and such. The only docker container I added was binhex's plex pass. Everything was working fine.

This morning, before attempting to build the system back up, I did a reboot from the U/I. The system has not rebooted, its stuck once again with the line:

/etc/rc.d/rc.M: line 164: 2381 Killed modprobe - r $DRIVERS

At this stage, considering the O/S hasnt booted successfully, I can only do a hard reboot from the case switch.

The O/S will not reboot successfully on any of the options on the boot menu.

I can copy files from the USB if that helps but obviously I cannot gain access to the UI.

I tried to follow the instructions about changing the USB here https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device

but the replace key box is greyed out and is not selectable.

I would appreciate any advice. you could provide. My system was working fine under 6.8.0 and had been rebooted with no problems. Unfortunately I do not have a copy of 6.8.0 to go back to.

OK. So I have been doing some testing.

I re-imaged my original USB with the latest version, 6.8.1

I then copied across the following files from my backup:

- Plus.key to config

- config/super.dat to config

- config/disk.cfg to config

- config/share.cfg to config

- config/shares/ to config

- config/passwd.cfg to config

- config/shadow.cfg to config

- config/smbpasswd to config

- syslinux/syslinux.cfg to syslinux

I then booted the O/S. It booted successfully and I was able to login to the UI from a laptop.

I then shutdown the O/S from the Main tab. After a minute or so I rebooted. The O/S halted with the modprobe error.

I have attached three pictures I took when the O/S was booting. I am not a programmer/software engineer so forgive my logic.

Most often the O/S stops at the modprobe line. However, occasionally it seems to progress but halts soon after. Usually at different spots. It seems to be processing something in relation to bluetooth.

20200122_105245.jpg

20200123_114705.jpg

20200123_115206.jpg

I tried going back to the last stable version, 6.7.2, but the config files from 6.8.1 dont seem to work with it. It finishes the boot sequence but after displaying the server IP it shows an error for something related to login. I have been looking for a copy of 6.8.0 online but as yet have not found one. Lesson learnt not to update to the latest version, stay one version behind.