Plex Transcode Setup

Terrierl

I searched and could not find a clear answer on this question.

I set up the plex docker to have plex transcode to mnt/cache/ which is my 250gb ssd cache drive.  I see the transcode share listed in the shares tab, but the cache is set as "No" for the transcode share.

Should this be set to no, yes, only or prefer? Or does it really matter what it is set to?  The transcode folder seems to be working as intended as files populate the folder when something is transcoding & no crashes as of yet.  I'm just curious if it is set up correctly.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Terrierl said:

I set up the plex docker to have plex transcode to mnt/cache/ which is my 250gb ssd cache drive.  I see the transcode share listed in the shares tab, but the cache is set as "No" for the transcode share.

Generally, you do not need a user share just for transcoding (unless you really need it to be in a share for some reason).  In every transcoding setup I have seen, Plex has been configured to transcode in RAM, in a transcoding subfolder of the Plex container on appdata (if this share is on an SSD), or to an unassigned device SSD.  I have used all three at various times based on need. 

Currently, I have Plex configured to transcode in a folder on an unassigned device SSD.  Previously it was in RAM until a change to PMS started using a lot of RAM for transcoding while recording TV shows.

If you do it as a subfolder of the Plex container in the appdata share, that share is usually set to prefer or only.

Edited by Hoopster
9 hours ago, Terrierl said:

When you use an explicit Linux path as y/u have done then you are by-pring the

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 9:05 PM, UNcitizenRAID said:

so to be clear how would i set plex to transcode in RAM if i already mucked about in my settings and am now receiving loads of docker container % full warnings which i believe is due to my transcoder settings not being correct with my internal transcoding settings , using binhex_plex ?