Corrupt Flash Drive Recovery (Have Backup)

smdl

Hi, folks. 

Hoping someone can help me through my first failed USB flash drive.  I'm fairly new to unRAID, but knew to make sure I had a backup, and had hoped that recovery would be as simple as copying the config folder over to a new installation.  Unfortunately, I'm struggling to get back up and working, and would really appreciate some shared wisdom.  Here is how I got where I am:

I decided to try upgrading from 6.7.2 to 6.8.1 today, and it initially seemed to work well.  However, there were a some operations (working on setting up new shares) that didn't want to save, so I decided to reboot.  When I did, the system would not restart, and when I tried to copy the files off of the flash drive to my PC, corruption was evident (would not copy, etc.).  So, knowing that I had a backup of the flash drive on the array, I created a new, blank config on the flash drive using the the USB Creator.  This allowed me to get the system up and working (without assigning drives or starting the array), after which I was able to copy the previous backup onto a separate folder on the flash drive, and then save it to my PC.  I then copied the config folder from the backup onto the flash drive, overwriting where appropriate.  Having done this, the system did boot up properly, but it still doesn't seem to have the correct configuration as no drives are assigned, and there is a message at the bottom of the screen indicating "Array Stopped - Stale Configuration". 

I have tried recreating the USB drive with 6.8.1 and 6.7.2, but the result is the same. 

Hopefully, I am making a simple mistake.  Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Shaun

Okay, being that I had the disk assignments document, I started with a fresh 6.8.1 flash drive, brought the system up and did a minimal config on it (static IP, root password, community apps, etc.).  Then I assigned the drives in the same manner they were before, indicated that parity was already valid, and started the array.  I was pleased to see that I can access all my data, my shares are present, and that my docker containers are up and functioning (which is what is most important to me).  What I seem to have lost are the users, and I notice that all the shares are now public, but those things are easy to fix. 

Is it really this easy?  Can I just go back through the settings and get things exactly the way I want them, or are there issued lurking that I am not yet aware of?  Is there something else that I need to do, like indicating that this is a new config?

Cheers,

Shaun

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Did you copy that backup config folder with all its contents, or did you just copy the contents of that backup config folder? You need to have the folder with all its contents on the flash drive as a folder named config.

Yes, I did copy all contents, but that didn't seem to address the issue of stale config.  Regardless, I seem to have gotten it back working now.  Thanks for the taking the time to reply -- it's appreciated.

Cheers,

Shaun

6 hours ago, smdl said:

I was pleased to see that I can access all my data, my shares are present, and that my docker containers are up and functioning (which is what is most important to me).  What I seem to have lost are the users, and I notice that all the shares are now public, but those things are easy to fix. 

You have lost more than you may realize. The user shares are present because they are just the top level folders on all disks. But since you lost their configuration, they have default settings. And you won't be able to work with those running dockers from the webUI because their templates are gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, didn't see this message before.  Yes, you are correct -- I had to copy the templates from the backup that I had on the array.  Also, I was fortunate to not have much on the array, so went back through the settings, and all the shares are now working fine. 

Thanks again for your help!

Shaun

Edited by smdl