Backups and Mac Files

lukeb

Hi,

So while certain aspects of my question are answered, I couldn't find a specific answer on the forums so I thought I'd create new topic. 

1.  Is it practical/sensible to backup files I want from UnRaid by copying them from the network share to an external hard drive via my desktop?

2. Does UnRaid play nicely with having both mac and windows files on the array? - Attached to this question is whether copying mac files, (documents & backups) to an external hard drive via windows is sensible.

Thank you for any help provided,

Luke

3 hours ago, lukeb said:

1.  Is it practical/sensible to backup files I want from UnRaid by copying them from the network share to an external hard drive via my desktop?

2. Does UnRaid play nicely with having both mac and windows files on the array? - Attached to this question is whether copying mac files, (documents & backups) to an external hard drive via windows is sensible.

1. Yes. Part of my manual offline backup is done like that (albeit automated using a 3rd party software and not manual drag-and-drop).

2. "Mac" files and "Windows" files on the array are the same thing to Unraid - they are just files. So as long as there's nothing stopping them from being detected by Windows (e.g. having . prefix will be shared in SMB with hidden attribute) then it makes no diff.

Thank you for your reply.  I think my question originated from past experience of using USB drives that were formatted as NTFS on mac and then getting corrupt data.  Though this won't effect it in anyway being on UnRaid and my external drive will be exFat.

You wouldn't happen to know whether you can read a UnRaid share backup (via a script using unassigned devices) from say a windows file explorer?