Slight side topic - Dockers OS that as easy as Unraids

IrishBiker

Hi All

Just a bit of a side track. I mainly use my Unraid for the storage of my media, family photos etc. However I might be travelling/moving so I was thinking about building a lightweight Docker/Storage unit, something that would be portable where I can store some of my media collection and pull the odd TV program and possibly host a local Plex server. I have a 4GB Raspberry PI 4 and was wondering I could use it as a media box. I love the ease of the Docker system in Unraid and was wondering if there is something like that that would run on say my pi.

From what i can tell when most people talk about how easy Docker on unRAID is what they are really mean is that it is nice to have a GUI to control docker rather than having to use cli and or compose files. There are a number of GUIs for Docker many of which run as a container within docker. Take a look at Rancher (both the interface and the OS), Portainer, and shipyard.

Thanks for the update guys, to be honest I'm no expert with Docker, still learning. I thought the container was not depended on the host but from looking at hub.docker.com the containers I want to pull ( Bin-Hex's for example) are marked for Linux and x86-64 only. With that in mind I might move away from using a Raspberry Pi. I might dig out an old laptop and see what I can do (Unbuntu Mate min image with docker).

I've also been playing with Portainer and it looks like along the lines of what I want but also trying to get comfy with CLI of Docker.

*Update* in theory Ain't Raspbian an Arm flavour of Debian? So I could pull Linux containers...

Edited by IrishBiker
Had a thought...
7 minutes ago, IrishBiker said:

Portainer

Yeah, portainer looks ok, but it does have the unique distinction of being the only app currently present in the Apps Tab where its total downloads actually went down one month. 

image.png.caace8737208414b4a1ae603fd488283.png

Bug on docker hub or did 1,000,000,000 try it, decided that dockerMan was far better and insisted that dockerHub not count their installs?

Edited by DarphBobo
4 hours ago, DarphBobo said:

Bug on docker hub or did 1,000,000,000 try it, decided that dockerMan was far better and insisted that dockerHub not count their installs?

No idea about the statistics but i doubt that many unRAID users are using Portainer. It, like most docker GUIs, is designed for a different type of usage/workload than is typical on unRAID. That said dockerMan is a component of unRAID, so far as i am aware, and not available on other platforms. 

4 hours ago, IrishBiker said:

*Update* in theory Ain't Raspbian an Arm flavour of Debian? So I could pull Linux containers...

The key word is ARM. Applications (including those in a docker container) must be compiled to run on a particular architecture (x86_x64, ARM ,MIPS, etc.). There do exist docker containers that will run on ARM, however they are much less numerous at this point than x86_x64. Unfortunately i doubt that most docker containers built by the unRAID community would also have an ARM version (since unRAID does not run on ARM and multi-Arch images are tricky to do). I vaguely remember LSIO having some but you would have to head over to their forums to confirm.