Replacing UnRaid Hardware

adgilcan

Hi  I've taken a look through this forum and the UnRaid Wiki but nothing leaps out at me.  Could you point me to the relevant section, if it exists, or offer me your knowledge, pretty please?

My original server built in 2011 has done me well but it is running at 100% most of the time now and will not countenance VMs, so I have decided to upgrade it to a more modern dual CPU machine.  My question is this:  Is it as simple as building the new server, plugging in the drives in the same positions as they were on the original and booting up via the USB stick, or do I need to follow a different procedure.  Of course what I am terrified of is losing all my data either by drives not being recognised or by being wiped by the "new" system.

Very many thanks

D

Given the circumstances you lay out, as long as your current hard drive controller and the new hardware both pass the drive serial number identifier unmodified, you can plug all your drives in whatever order you want and unraid will just find them and start exactly the same. Physical drive position doesn't matter at all.