System Hang - 6.8.1

After I updated Unriad from 6.8.0 to 6.8.1, my system hangs during boot up. I'm getting an error of /etc/rc.d/rc.m: line 164: 2262 Killed and worker [2263] '/devices/virtual/pps/pps1' killed

Does anybody have an idea how to fix this issue? I had no problems with version 6.8.0

Any help will be appreciated.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Ok, I'm not sure if I understand the instructions.

So I got my system back up and running under 6.8.0 and made a backup of my usb thumb drive via Unraid flash backup. Whats the next part? Do I format my current usb thump drive and use the Unraid usb flash creator to install 6.8.1? If so, then how do I restore my 6.8.0 backup onto the 6.8.1 thumb drive? 

Just for testing, I got another thumb drive and used the flash creator to install 6.8.1, and it booted. I guess that's a good sign. 

8 minutes ago, fainttrace said:

Ok, I did that and still got the same error messages. Also, this time I was able to boot the machine into safe mode with no plugins.  

If you can boot into Safe Mode,  but not otherwise then this means that one of your plugins is not compatible with this version of Unraid.

Ok, I'm still getting the error messages regardless if I boot into safe mode or not. I have rebooting my system multiple times and sometimes I will get the error message. Its sporadic. 

My system was 100% stable under version 6.8.0. 

Do I need to submit a bug report? My hardware is a Threadripper 2920x and a X399 Taichi

Also, I got the same results using a new thumb drive and attempting to run a trial version of 3.8.1 

apollo-diagnostics-20200116-1343.zip

Edited by fainttrace
Diagnostic File

I’m having the exact same issue as this other user, system hangs on /devices/virtual/pps/pps1 killer.

i can’t boot into safe mode and I’m running a Threadripper 2950X on a Gigabyte Designare. I’ve changed literally nothing since my last boot except updated plugins... going to try removing them but since it wouldn’t boot in safe mode I’m at a loss

Having the same issue on a Supermicro H11SSL-C v 2.0 with a Epyc 7302P.

Tried to boot in safe, uefi and non uefi etc but nothing, hangs in the same spot everytime

EDIT:

Backed up the config folder, wiped the usb, flashed 6.8.0, restored config and now boots fine

Guess its a problem with Epyc or TR with this new version, i wonder what could be

EDIT2: i attached the diagnostics from v 6.8.0

zunraid-diagnostics-20200118-2312.zip

Edited by exico
Progress
22 hours ago, fainttrace said:

@ semperfio6 and exico

What hardware do you have in the system?

Other than my motherboard and CPU, I have a LSI 9210-8i and a Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 expansion card. 

Many things, its a Supermicro "Superserver 2013S-C0R" configured with the Epyc 7302P, H11SSL-C rev 2 and 2x 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM. Bios is latest available (2.0b)

For the rest i can see clearly:

• A M.2 Add On card "AOC-SLG3-2M2" Link
  • A Broadcom 3008 SAS3 Controller integrated into the motherboard that is connected to, what i think is, a dummy backplane with no processing, just passtrough since has just 8 bays
  • Classic Supermicro IPMI
  • For disks: 2x WD Red 4TB, 1 x WD Red 1TB and 2x NVME Samsung 970 Pro 512GB placed on the add-on card

18 hours ago, exico said:

Many things, its a Supermicro "Superserver 2013S-C0R" configured with the Epyc 7302P, H11SSL-C rev 2 and 2x 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM. Bios is latest available (2.0b)

For the rest i can see clearly:

• A M.2 Add On card "AOC-SLG3-2M2" Link
  • A Broadcom 3008 SAS3 Controller integrated into the motherboard that is connected to, what i think is, a dummy backplane with no processing, just passtrough since has just 8 bays
  • Classic Supermicro IPMI
  • For disks: 2x WD Red 4TB, 1 x WD Red 1TB and 2x NVME Samsung 970 Pro 512GB placed on the add-on card

I have xeon on x99 with a LSI card and have the same problem.

Looks like the broadcom 3008 is a LSI controller so LSI seems to be the common factor?

Has anybody tried booting without their LSI card?

Cannot really remove it, its integrated in the motherboard but i have a 9211 in my personal server and it boots fine.

I dont think is the LSI controller the problem, from what i can see it loads the drivers fine and stops a lot later. If was the LSI the problem it would give an error when loading the drivers i think.

Looks like multiple people are having the same problem. At this point, maybe we should just post all info into the bug thread. 

After I installed 6.8.1, I did cat the file  /etc/rc.d/rc.m and found no command on line 164. 

Somebody suggested on another post to rename network-rules.cfg to something else, but I don't think this will fix the problem due to the modprobe error.