Hard Drive Expansion

mihcox

I currently have a computer tower with 6 actual HDD slots, 2 SDD slots. I have managed to get 8 HDD in it, but want to change that. 

My build already has a sas expander card, so i am trying to figure out the best way to start using these extra drives as external storage. Is there a 2,5,8,10 bay drive i can aquire that works through the sas card expander slot?

It depends somewhat on your region as to what hardware is available at reasonable prices. I have both Silverstone TS431S and STARDOM Sohotank ST4-U5 which are both 4bay external enclosures I bought second hand, but such devices are now increasingly rare both new and used and quite expensive new though work very well.

The cheapest option by some margin would be a new case for your PC/ server . Something with 12 or more bays depending on your need.

The main alternative unless you want a lot of HDD bays (storinator) or can't find a smaller 4 bay expansion is to take an empty PC case, add a PSU and some back panel connectors to make a second tower unit act as an expansion. You would need to force the PSU on with a wiring fix and something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/10003240084 and breakout cable within the second case to spit the SAS to each drive.

However this is quite expensive as you need case, PSU, breakout cables, external SAS-SAS cable , a SAS card with external output or more SAS back panel connectors hence case is the cheapest option.