[SOLVED] Win 10 unknown device error acpi\ven_app&dev0005

Hi all

new install of windows 10 and i have an unknown device in device manager. Device id is in the title. No matter what i try cannot find the right driver for this. Any thoughts please? No other usb or other devices passed through so its not that. 

Edited by AntaresUK
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:38 AM, AntaresUK said:

I manually installed the device, go to list all devices, system devices and then choose ACPI processor container device

Well I have Ryzen 3900x and get the same problem... Do you mean System Devices/AMD/ACPI... as there isnt one for me there....I have installed AMD chipset drivers as this "VM" was a baremetal install then converted to be able to dual boot bare metal or VM via unRAID

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same „unknown device“ here but running on an i7 6700.  Sadly I’m not able to decrypt this information, too! 🙈😜

On 1/29/2020 at 9:38 AM, AntaresUK said:

I manually installed the device, go to list all devices, system devices and then choose ACPI processor container device

where should I go to „list all devices“ ? 

19 minutes ago, Maddeen said:

Same „unknown device“ here but running on an i7 6700.  Sadly I’m not able to decrypt this information, too! 🙈😜

where should I go to „list all devices“ ? 

Its under update driver, then "browse my computer for drivers", then "let me pick from a list of available drivers for my computer" then show system devices, then the acpi driver is on the list on the right hand side

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 7/2/2020 at 5:33 AM, AntaresUK said:

Its under update driver, then "browse my computer for drivers", then "let me pick from a list of available drivers for my computer" then show system devices, then the acpi driver is on the list on the right hand side.

I had the same problem. Glad I found your post. FYI its under (Standard system devices) from the left tab. 

So how do you know it's ACPI Processor container device??? After I did what you've suggested, the device remains in the Other devices -> Unknown device

778901585_unknowndevice.PNG.a70b39e54cfdaa5865abb82250b3e6ee.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 4:19 AM, DrJake said:

I had the same problem. Glad I found your post. FYI its under (Standard system devices) from the left tab. 

So how do you know it's ACPI Processor container device??? After I did what you've suggested, the device remains in the Other devices -> Unknown device

778901585_unknowndevice.PNG.a70b39e54cfdaa5865abb82250b3e6ee.PNG

I did the same and resulting in same image... did you find a resolution to your issue? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I found the Driver he's talking about 

3H02jFV.png

Browse My Computer

dIlb638.png

Let me pick from list

uSbWqCn.png

System Devices

*then the missing step above* On left do (Standard System Devices), Then on the right "ACPI Processor Container Device"

D2xL4ZZ.png

This gets me to AntaresUK's solution, of selecting the driver he specifies that people couldnt find.

HOWEVER, I still get the different icon, but still "Unknown Device"  shown by DrJake.

So its not a true resolution.  

• Thanks 1

searching for the device ID only returns a handful of hits, all but two are unraid (this thread) etc. 

Another is https://seandheath.com/windows-acpi-driver/ which just says the above: and 

Thanks to AntaresUK for posting the solution.

Written on May 22, 2020

So no help.  It's interesting others list this as working, but others of us its not. 

It also appears UNRAID specific, as if were more generally a Windows  or QEMU or OVMF related issue, there would be many more hits and not all of them would be UNRAID.

So its unclear what this is and what the issue is.  

In addition:  ACPI Proc Container Device has a different Hardware ID - most notably DEV_0010.

xzqmoU2.png

We can get some more info:

Last known parent is ACPI\PNP0A08\1

The Parent of ACPI Processor Container Device is ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0

Further the SIBLING of ACPI Processor Container Device is ACPI\PNP0A08\1

which means we have

ControllerRoot

| - ACPI Processor Container Device (ACPI\ACPI0010\2&DABA3FF&0) and othernames

| -ACPI\PNP0A08\1

|     |- Our mystery device

|     |- ACPI\PBP0A06\CPU_Hotplug Resources

|     |- ACPI\PBP0A06\GPE0_resources

|     |- ACPI\QEMU0002\#####

|     |- many more

|     |- SM BUS Controller (added to this list after finding below)

So its not the same device.

Edited by AndyT86
Add SMBus

In our unknown device:

lSqY0TR.png

Address is 001F0003

And BIOS name is: \_SB.PCI0.SMB0

QzoHeMX.png

Further- if we go to Linux and run lspci:

At that address (00:1f.3) we have SMBus: Intel 8280I ICH9 Family SMBus Controller.

5iDRuNP.png

HOWEVER, installing the Intel SMBus Controller Driver does NOT help.

There is in fact already a SMBus Device installed

Going to the VirtIO cd, there is in fact a folder named SMBus.  However both drivers do NOT work, and its only "2k8\[x86 or x64]" There is no Windows 10 folder.

• 7 months later...