New unraid server reporting invalid encryption key after reboot

Hello everyone,

After extensive testing I finished migrating all my data to an encrypted unraid volume. I saved the passphrase in two encrypted text files. After rebooting, the key I used-the same one I copied and pasted in two files-no longer unlocks the volumes. It just reports "Wrong key." It's looking a lot like I just lost the entirety of my data.

Just for additional info, I'm using unraid 6.8.1. The key was a mixture of special and regular characters, 64 letters long. Is there something I'm missing? Something to try? Some way to fix this? Logically it looks like I'm out of luck but it makes no sense how the key I copied and pasted is not working.

• 8 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 1:31 AM, novicode said:

Thanks for the quick response. It really isn't looking good. I tried the keyfile, no luck. When running "cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdk1 sdk1" and entering the passphrase I saved it responds with "No key available with this passphrase."

I saw on the other thread it was marked as solved. I'm having the same issue you were and was wondering what the solution was?

So while I'm not an expert with Unraid's encryption routines ... I've had my own share of troubles using it.... for 2020 the entire encryption thing should be worked on... that'd be my request.  Somehow improve the entire operation.

So here's a couple thoughts on it.. you said you saved the key to 2 files ---- on Windows? what file format?  If it added any Windows line endings (invisible to you, but not to the computer) it can mess it up as it would basically include the line ending as part of the key.

When you open a command window, and go to /root/ is a keyfile present?  

If so, 'nano keyfile' ... does it contain your key?

If there is no keyfile present after trying to start the array then welcome to the world of Unraid encryption bugs...  (in my view)

Instead of using the key file you can try starting it as a passphrase instead... not sure if it will work with 64 characters though for the input.. 

So, you can try back on the command line...........  if the keyfile is there, delete it.

This is what I've found to force restarting the array with a keyfile .. without rebooting the entire system..

echo -n 'PASSWORD' > /root/keyfile && CSRF=$(cat /var/local/emhttp/var.ini | grep -oP 'csrf_token="\K[^"]+') && curl -k --data "startState=STOPPED&file=&csrf_token=${CSRF}&cmdStart=Start&luksKey=/root/keyfile" http://localhost/update.htm

If that works then you know your passphrase is good and it's just a problem with your keyfile