USB Connection Warning

9 hours ago, Gragorg said:

I get a warning if my UPS loses connection.  It would be nice to get a warning when the Unraid boot USB loses connection. 

Indirectly, you do. massive bread errors in the syslog.

I agree it would be nice if there was a notification event fired so you know about it immediately instead of seeing the chaos caused whenever you log in later.

Maybe even an option to perform some action if /boot ceases to be populated. I'd like a configurable option to automatically shut down properly, even though it couldn't be recorded as a clean shutdown I'd know best efforts were taken to keep my data intact, and a notification that the boot USB was removed and the array shutdown properly would be good troubleshooting information when I bring the array back online.

I just had a lightbulb moment.

@Squid, would it be possible to mirror all writes to flash to a mounted image file on the array somewhere? A modified RAID1 of sorts? Then if the physical USB is unable to read or write, continue operating on the array copy, with the option to repair or remount the physical USB and bring it back in sync?

I'm envisioning a system where flash replacement could be done live, with the license update happening on next array start.

• Like 1