asopala: Server Fails to Start After Update

asopala

Turns out I still have this issue.  6.8.0 ended up becoming oddly unstable, so I had to manually upgrade back to 6.8.1.  I'm back to square one.  I tried adding in different things from the config folder, but the main bits like my drive configuration were what was preventing startup.  I'm at a loss, I'm not sure what to do.

I should have split this off immediately since it was a hijack and since it didn't really serve @asopala where it was anyway.

I don't think there is anything in that other thread that is really relevant to this one but I link it here anyway:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/87378-server-fails-to-start-after-update

So now we can start by asking some of the same questions we asked the OP in that other thread:

On 1/14/2020 at 10:01 PM, trurl said:

Have you done memtest?

On 1/14/2020 at 10:16 PM, trurl said:

Are you booting from a USB2 port? You should.

Do you have a backup of flash?

My apologies for that, still figuring out the standard protocol of the forums.

Memtest gives me a loop, just resets the computer.  This was a couple days ago I tried this, I'll give it another shot when I get back to the server, if that's recommended.

I am booting from a USB2 port, and I backed up the entire flash drive contents.

8 minutes ago, asopala said:

Memtest gives me a loop, just resets the computer.  This was a couple days ago I tried this, I'll give it another shot when I get back to the server, if that's recommended.

Memtest suppled with Unraid can only be run if booting in Legacy mode.   It will not run if booting in UEFI mode.   If you want a version that runs in UEFI mode you have to download it from the memtest+ web site.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

Memtest suppled with Unraid can only be run if booting in Legacy mode.   It will not run if booting in UEFI mode.   If you want a version that runs in UEFI mode you have to download it from the memtest+ web site.

Booted in legacy, and I ran memtest, no errors.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

If you have not already tried them then the steps listed here are worth trying.

Allright, I gave the boot ones a shot.  It works with a new defaulted flash drive, but once I put my configs on it, the issue comes back.  And I tried adding things in gradually, but the important .cfg files are the ones that tend to then recreate the issue.  No idea what it is.  Hardware seems like it's all good, it seems like it's purely a software issue.  But yeah, still getting that $DRIVERS thing.

Edited by asopala

Your disk assignments are in config/super.dat. But if you know your disk assignments you can just reassign them as they were, so that file isn't critical.

If you don't have the .cfg file for your user shares, then the user shares will still exist, because they are simply the top level folders on all disks. But without the .cfg file for a user share, it will have default settings and if you want something else you can make those settings, so those aren't critical either.

Your docker templates might be the biggest pain to recreate, but again not critical.

Most things in config folder are just text so you can look at them if you want. They correspond to settings in the webUI. Anything that you don't have will get default settings.

Your license .key file is perhaps the most important.

But not having any of these things will have no effect on your data. As long as you don't assign a data disk to a parity slot your data should be fine.

Thanks, I got it worked out.  It seems that now that I built it again, it stopped appearing--half the time.  I still get the same issue on bootup, but it goes away after hard resetting and changing ports.  It's still there, but at least it's a bit mitigated.  No idea what's causing it.  Anything I can do just for the sake of figuring out what's causing it?  I know a few other people on the forum have hit that issue, and I'm not sure if it's like a bug or something.

And it flared up again.  Got rid of the plugins and some of the cfg files and it booted up properly again.  Don't know what gives.  It seems to be a thing that happens half the time once I did that again.  Probably every time I've rebooted.  I'll just try not to touch it for now and leave it on.

Edited by asopala