Continued udma crc errors

Have been having a rough week with my unraid server.  earlier in the week, tried to add a few drives to my server and had a disk controller problem 

I went through the hardware compatability wiki for pci sata controllers and bought this one:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9207-8i-SATA-SAS-6Gb-s-PCI-E-3-0-Host-Bus-Adapter-IT-Mode-SAS9207-8i-US/123713611833?hash=item1ccde7e839:g:AC4AAOSwUvFcna9y

At first, all drives showed up on bios and when i powered up unraid they were all there.  I received a few udma crc errors, but i acknowledged them and ran a parity check.  more udma errors occured and one of my 3 data disks became disabled.  I switched the cables from both sas ports to make sure it wasn't a cable problem but having same errors.  the bios shows that the pci card is actually a 9207-8i.  

I've attached the diagnostics. 

Did I get another crap card?  What card and buyer would you guys recommend?  Could this be a mobo issue?  Please help.  

nasgard-diagnostics-20200118-1711.zip

This is what your logs are picking up for the SAS card:

Jan 18 16:42:36 Nasgard kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(20.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.39.00.00)

FW 20.00.00.00 has issues  along with FW 20.00.04.00

The most current version is FWVersion(20.00.07.00) (reliable) so I'd be reflashing the card in the first instance.

Edited by Decto
1 hour ago, Decto said:

This is what your logs are picking up for the SAS card:

Jan 18 16:42:36 Nasgard kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(20.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.39.00.00)

FW 20.00.00.00 has issues  along with FW 20.00.04.00

The most current version is FWVersion(20.00.07.00) (reliable) so I'd be reflashing the card in the first instance.

Man, I hope it's something like this. 

The unraid hardware wiki said this should work ootb but I'm willing to try. 

9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Just download latest firmware package from Broadcom's support site, you then need to use Windows or Dos for the actual update.

My unraid server doesn't have a windows vm.  The linux version of the file is only 20.00.00.00 but has the same creation date as 20.00.07.  How do i install the firmware onto the unraid server?

I wouldn't even try to update from a vm.

Get a spare USB pen, use RUFUS (free download) to make it bootable. 

Copy the files to the pen drive

Power off

Replace the Unraid pen drive with the new one

Boot into DOS

Following the DOS flashing instructions

Power off

Swap back to unraid USB

Boot

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Decto said:

I wouldn't even try to update from a vm.

Get a spare USB pen, use RUFUS (free download) to make it bootable. 

Copy the files to the pen drive

Power off

Replace the Unraid pen drive with the new one

Boot into DOS

Following the DOS flashing instructions

Power off

Swap back to unraid USB

Boot

Awesome. Will try it out. Thank you.