Network speed is low

Digital

Hello all :)

I come here because I can't solved my problem. I had create a win10 vm with my Unraid 6.8.1 however, I have a big problem with my network speed.

I feel like Unraid is limiting my speed on my vm.

But I would like to specifiy that my driver on my VM are installed with the default windows virtio driver ISO (virtio-win-0.1.160-1) and the driver for the ethernet is redhat bla bla but normally my ethernet network is Intel so maybe the problem is present for that reason?

I already try to delete my parity and today I use the win10 vm on SSD and a share on NVME.

Here my configuration:

Model: Custom

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING Version Rev X.0x - s/n: 190755062801345

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 1405. Dated: 11/19/2019

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core @ 3800 MHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 768 KiB, 6144 KiB, 65536 KiB

Memory: 64 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 128 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.19.94-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1d

image.png

and normally my connection is 250Mbps on the download xD

I added the diagnostics on this topic.

If you have any idea or solution for my problem do not hesitate :D 

Thank you in adavance.

devit-diagnostics-20200119-1250.zip

Edited by Digital

That is going to make the issue very difficult to diagnose.  Network traffic to the server is network traffic to the server, regardless if that's over a WAN or LAN.  Internet speed is limited by your router/ISP, not Unraid OS.  Perhaps something configured on your router, firewall, or switch may be doing this?  Any QoS policies in place?  How sophisticated is your network?  Are you using a rented router/modem or do you provide your own?

What about using other speedtest sites for testing?

For our network we have only a Fortinet and our unraid server is present on the same vlan with other servers.
This server had work with win10 server and the speedtest was good and with WIN10 vm on unraid the speedtest is not the same (same physical device and network). the uplaod with this VM works correctly but the download is limited (only with the VM).

I don't doubt the results your getting, but we can't recreate the issue here on our equipment and I would imagine we'd be hearing about this issue from a lot more folks if it was a software bug.  Another thing you can try is updating the virtio drivers.  We haven't updated the list that propagates inside of Unraid yet, but the latest VirtIO driver release is here:

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.173-4/virtio-win-0.1.173.iso

Try updating the virtual network driver in the VM using this ISO and see if that improves things.  If not, I can give you a few other things to try and narrow this down.

Hello Craftsman,

Yes it's a good point for that I used my E: Drive on the VM and install automatically.

image.png.3b1e2bd6c848f8cb049845bdab741a77.png

So now I have Red Hat VirtIO but normally I have an Intel card and I can't install this one because nothing card is visible on my VM ... :/

Do you have an idea?

Thank you for your support.

It is normal to see the VirtIO ethernet adapter instead of the Intel adapter, this is due to the virtualization.

Right-click on the VirtIO adapter, choose "Update driver" and "Browse my computer", select the location "E:\" + include subfolders,

and it should then update the network driver to the latest version of 0.1.173

1 minute ago, Digital said:

Yes sorry I updated the img on my last post.

But The last on my unraid is 160 and not 173 🤣 and I don't see an element to update this one :/ 

Pas de problème

You can click on the file location field and use the dropdown menu which appears to select the new image or type directly the location of the new image

You're overcomplicating this.  Just download the ISO from your Windows VM.  Double-click the ISO and it will mount it as a drive letter.  Right-click on the VirtIO Ethernet controller in device manager, update drivers, then browse to the drive letter of the ISO and let it search.