Guide - AsRock X570 Taichi VM w/ Hardware Passthrough

Endy

7 minutes ago, taylorthurlow said:

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this, this worked great on my R5-3600/X570/2080ti machine, with a Gigabyte AORUS mini-itx board.

Cheers!

Hey, I don't suppose you have had a 1080Ti or similar before? I have one in my Unraid build running; AsRock X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti etc for my Windows 10VM which I use parsec to stream to my MacBook for PC software and some occasional gaming. Just wanted to know how the 2080Ti compares to the 1080Ti while running in a virtual machine environment.

18 minutes ago, jazzy192 said:

Hey, I don't suppose you have had a 1080Ti or similar before? I have one in my Unraid build running; AsRock X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3950x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1080Ti etc for my Windows 10VM which I use parsec to stream to my MacBook for PC software and some occasional gaming. Just wanted to know how the 2080Ti compares to the 1080Ti while running in a virtual machine environment.

Nope sorry, this is my first foray into running any kind of serious virtualization. FWIW most of the guides I've followed are for the 10xx cards and they seem to be pretty much the same as the 2080ti, with the exception of there being 4 devices on the card, not 2. I used VFIO-PCI CFG to bind all 4 devices so I can select the extra 2 devices (usb stuff) in the VM GUI config.

I should also note that none of this works for me on 6.8.3, I'm running 6.9.0-beta25.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, taylorthurlow said:

Nope sorry, this is my first foray into running any kind of serious virtualization. FWIW most of the guides I've followed are for the 10xx cards and they seem to be pretty much the same as the 2080ti, with the exception of there being 4 devices on the card, not 2. I used VFIO-PCI CFG to bind all 4 devices so I can select the extra 2 devices (usb stuff) in the VM GUI config.

I should also note that none of this works for me on 6.8.3, I'm running 6.9.0-beta25.

Ah ok, no worries.

What is the VFIO-PCI CGF sorry?

I am also on 6.9.0-beta25 currently.

42 minutes ago, jazzy192 said:

Ah ok, no worries.

What is the VFIO-PCI CGF sorry?

I am also on 6.9.0-beta25 currently.

VFIO-PCI CFG (to my limited knowledge) is a plugin which binds devices at bootup in a way which enables them to be selected as PCI devices in the gui VM editor. it's actually built-in to the devices list on unraid 6.9.0 - the check boxes and configuration options on the devices list page are what the plugin did in 6.8.

• 5 months later...

@Endy great guide. 

Do you happen to know where the USB 2.0 headers sit in the IOMMU groups? I am trying to install a PCIe wifi/bluetooth card for my VM and the bluetooth portion isn't being reconsigned at all. The PCIe card has a cable that runs to a USB header on the board.  I suspect I am passing through the PCIe card but not the USB 2.0 header that the card is connected to, and its failing to work.

Any idea?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are the controllers including motherboard headers. [revised, BIOS 4.15 seems to have re-activated my dead port]

X570-Taichi.jpg

@Endy Some questions PLEASE

#1     can you confirm my theory that one of the USB2 headers is dead by design? I have one that doesnt work and it seems I am not alone (Asrock forums). EDIT: BIOS 4.15 revived it.. but one port remains dead even though header cable is 100% okay

#2    X570 USB problem isn't fixed by the beta 4.15 BIOS but Asrock say 4.20 should contain the AMD AGESA 1.2.0.2 that contains the fix. I have no XHCI menu options at all in BIOS 4.10 I can tell you!

#3    can you pass controllers 1 & 2 separately to two different VMs?

X570-Taichi.jpg

Edited by methanoid
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, im new to unraid

i build this unraid pc with left over parts

ASRock x570 Pro4

Aorus 1080 TI

16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Ryzen7 3700x

i like to get some help with this,

i want to make a DIY nas since buying a nas is much more expansive,
 fromtalking to people they say unraid is the most simple one , yet i can not find my way through it ,

what i plan to do with the nas is set up a a gaming windows vm,
a torrent client with rss to auto download my torrents,
i am trying to set up dupplicati for cloud backup but no luck in that yet,

for the windows vm, i tried to set it up as shown but some how i get black screen on the unraid pc but the remote gui still works fine

as for the dupplicati, i cant find my test folder so that ican test a small file to backup,

see the screen shots from what i did already,

1.png

drives.png

main.png

shares.png

dupp.png

Edited by Hanako
On 4/10/2021 at 7:59 AM, methanoid said:

Hi

My board arrived on BIOS 3.60 and no options at all for ANY of those shown in 1st post.. what BIOS are you running please?

I know it's been awhile, but I'll answer anyways. I am still running the 2.70 bios. I'm going with the 'if it ain't broke' option for the time being.

On 4/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, methanoid said:

Here are the controllers including motherboard headers. [revised, BIOS 4.15 seems to have re-activated my dead port]

X570-Taichi.jpg

@Endy Some questions PLEASE

#1     can you confirm my theory that one of the USB2 headers is dead by design? I have one that doesnt work and it seems I am not alone (Asrock forums). EDIT: BIOS 4.15 revived it.. but one port remains dead even though header cable is 100% okay

#2    X570 USB problem isn't fixed by the beta 4.15 BIOS but Asrock say 4.20 should contain the AMD AGESA 1.2.0.2 that contains the fix. I have no XHCI menu options at all in BIOS 4.10 I can tell you!

#3    can you pass controllers 1 & 2 separately to two different VMs?

X570-Taichi.jpg

Thank you for the picture showing the internal usb headers as well. So to your question #1, I can't really answer it because it is a pain to get into my server so I only do that if I really have to and usually if I have to, it means I am in a hurry and forget to check on things like the usb headers.

For question #3, I believe that you can? It has been a long time since I have messed around with all of this.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:43 AM, Paul_Ber said:

Would the the x570 Taichi Razor version be almost the same except 2.5G LAN?

X570 Phantom Gaming X seems similar except for 2.5G LAN & 1G LAN?

With any board revision, the hardware components can change and the bios can change. So similar either of those boards would be, I can't say.

3 hours ago, Hanako said:

hi, im new to unraid

i build this unraid pc with left over parts

ASRock x570 Pro4

Aorus 1080 TI

16 GB DDR4 3600mhz

Ryzen7 3700x

i like to get some help with this,

i want to make a DIY nas since buying a nas is much more expansive,
 fromtalking to people they say unraid is the most simple one , yet i can not find my way through it ,

what i plan to do with the nas is set up a a gaming windows vm,
a torrent client with rss to auto download my torrents,
i am trying to set up dupplicati for cloud backup but no luck in that yet,

for the windows vm, i tried to set it up as shown but some how i get black screen on the unraid pc but the remote gui still works fine

as for the dupplicati, i cant find my test folder so that ican test a small file to backup,

see the screen shots from what i did already,

1.png

drives.png

main.png

shares.png

dupp.png

Ok you are asking a lot of questions there and it doesn't really have anything to do with this guide. 

What I can suggest is that for help with getting your VM working, to post about the problems you are having with your VM xml in the VM help forum. You will get much better answers that way.

For help with Duplicati, find the Duplicati docker topic in the Docker Container forum and describe your issues there and see if they can help you.

For a torrent docker, there are plenty to choose from. I have no idea about rss support for them, though.

I would highly recommend SpaceInvader One's or Ibracorp's youtube channels.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 10:57 AM, abc123 said:

Thanks for this guide it is excellent,  I was also having crashes with unraid with the latest bios on this board.  The resolution i'm currently using is disabling global c-state.

Thank you for mentioning the c-state!

That fixed it for me after troubleshooting for almost 2 weeks these unexplained crashes I had after upgrading to the latest BIOS.

It all started with random crashes on my gaming VM that ultimately were caused by failing RAM, however as part of troubleshooting I upgraded the BIOS and although the memory was replaced, the crashes continued.

By the way, lots have changed in the BIOS and the main thing I enable is just the “IOMMU”.

If i follow the rest, I get the hardware (mostly USB) grouped badly for pass-through.

Otherwise passing two GPUs to two gaming VMs works flawlessly.