[SOLVED][6.8.0] SMB Share sub directory intermittently not visible from Windows File Explorer

Jarsky

I wonder if anyone else gets this, and if there is any sort of fix for it? 

Intermittently my "MOVIES" directory isnt visible from any of my Windows 10 or Windows Server 2019 machines. 

I can however navigate to \\tower\share\MOVIES and the folder opens just fine. My Linux Machines & VM's are unaffected, they can always see the folder mounted. 

I have just a single SMB configured as 'share' which MOVIES is a directory of.

It's only ever that directory that doesnt show up as well, the rest are unaffected. 

I was wondering if its the size of the iNotify table in UnRAID? Does it need to be increased? Theres about 2500 sub folders within 'MOVIES'

Here you can see its not visible on my Gaming machine, but it is on my media box. 

9254356ae84f562dbb9b3d4fceb040d8.png

This is a new build im testing out, and everything is healthy

2084a3bff915308b18e03ef3d9f8d527.png

Edited by Jarsky
2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Why do you want to have only one share? Most would make a Movies share and other shares along with it. Then you have more control over how each is configured. 

So you're saying the issue is the SMB share configuration? 

It's only 1 share currently because i've just transferred the files over from my current server and am testing UnRAID to see if it fits purpose before purchasing a license. 

I currently have it as 1 share for full access during the testing, but i copied all the data from a hardware Raid 6 running on Windows which has been a single share using NTFS/ACL permissions for access. 

6 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

So you're saying the issue is the SMB share configuration? 

No - merely an observation.    I have shares on my system with far more files/folders and never see this problem

I would suggest you post your system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools >> Diagnostics) after the problem has occurred (giving an approximate time to help when checking logs) to see if anyone can spot anything that might be relevant.

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

Then type the Following command:

ls -al /mnt/user0

Capture a screen shot and post it up. 

Can see the sub folder 'MOVIES' just fine on that listing. 

Cant see it on any of my 3 Windows Machines. Just tried ES File Explorer on my android, and can see the folder just fine there. So something weird with samba im assuming?

987df4ad5c86df72254c44d4195720e3.png

You can also have a look at the what the LAN networking configuration looks like.  Start by installing a the Local Master plugin on the server.  You can find out how in my 'Quote' in this post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-515625

This will show what your Unraid server thinks is the Local Master (which basically controls SMB access).  (You should also have your Unraid server be setup to be the Local Master.  That often solves a lot of SMB problems!) 

Now, lets look at the Window side of the equation.  There is a program which will analyze the network from the Windows side.  You can find information on it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-536447

(By the way I just downloaded it again and it works with WIn10 ver 1903.)

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you try and access the server by IP address rather than name does it work?    If so that would at least point out the issue may be related to name resolution in some way.

Doesnt make any difference, one of the machines I hadnt even accessed it from yet and I tried the IP address and same thing. 

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Now, lets look at the Window side of the equation.  There is a program which will analyze the network from the Windows side.  You can find information on it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/?tab=comments#comment-536447

(By the way I just downloaded it again and it works with WIn10 ver 1903.)

UnRAID is the master browser according to that LANscanner

JARSKYNAS-NEW     192.168.1.243    70-85-c2-d6-83-56  WORKGROUP  MASTER

In a last attempt i've robocopied all the MOVIES folders attributes for folders & files and it reappeared. Hopefully it stays this time. 

I cant imagine why it would have had an issue with any attributes in the first place since I hadn't touched it since I copied the files over

C:\WINDOWS\system32>robocopy E:\MOVIES\ Z:\MOVIES\ /S /E /B /Z /R:2 /W:3 /TBD /NP /V /DCOPY:AT /COPY:AT /MT:24 /TEE /LOG+:D:\copy-movies-attribs.log

Think ill leave it here for now, thanks for the suggestions with the troubleshooting :)

Edited by Jarsky
  • 11 months later...

I actually had a similar issue with a folder within my main SMB share which did not display in Windows Explorer, I could however browse to it via the exact path.  Turned out to be the Windows folder attributes, not the Unraid attributes.  The folder was \\dataserver\store\hyperoo.  When I accessed cmd prompt, and typed attrib \\dataserver\store\hyperoo, the attributes showed as SH (System and Hidden) so I removed these via attrib -S -H \\dataserver\store\hyperoo and now the folder is visible from all devices.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 4:26 PM, Suntech said:

I actually had a similar issue with a folder within my main SMB share which did not display in Windows Explorer, I could however browse to it via the exact path.  Turned out to be the Windows folder attributes, not the Unraid attributes.  The folder was \\dataserver\store\hyperoo.  When I accessed cmd prompt, and typed attrib \\dataserver\store\hyperoo, the attributes showed as SH (System and Hidden) so I removed these via attrib -S -H \\dataserver\store\hyperoo and now the folder is visible from all devices.

Suntech,

Thanks for posting this - you solved my problem immediately! I appreciate it. I think this post should be higher.

Do you know of any reason this is the case? I was using "Robocopy" on a task scheduler to mirror a folder for backup purposes - unsure if this is the reason that it was set to hidden or not. 

Thanks again!

On 12/31/2020 at 4:26 PM, Suntech said:

On 1/11/2021 at 10:43 AM, sxt_ said:

Suntech,

Thanks for posting this - you solved my problem immediately! I appreciate it. I think this post should be higher.

Do you know of any reason this is the case? I was using "Robocopy" on a task scheduler to mirror a folder for backup purposes - unsure if this is the reason that it was set to hidden or not. 

Thanks again!

Just wanted to follow up on these threads as it was incredibly annoying to figure out. This has happened to me when I use Robocopy to mirror disks - looking at this guide here https://blog.coeo.com/how-to-prevent-robocopy-from-hiding-your-files-and-how-to-fix-it-when-it-does you can add "/A-:SH" to the end of your Robocopy script to prevent the directories from being hidden. 

Thanks again Suntech!