unraid slow performance when pulling files.

So i have a 9tb 4 drive wd red 3 tb each setup. The system is fast when putting files on the unraid system. But when i go to open a file thats on unraid server its super slow. Takes like 5 mins to just open the file. The system is a beast for a home server. 

i7 6850k 6 core 12 thread 3.8gz speed

16 gig quad channel

1 nvme ssd

2 sata 6gb all setup in cache mode

4 wd red 6gb 9tb final size main storage 

rx 580 8gb video card

dual 1 gigabit cat 6 network to a br500 vpn router

Is there something i might have done wrong to not get a fast upload speed to open files.    My internet speeds to it is 500 down 25 up but it does this problem when im in the house with gigabit network so its not the upload speed slowing this guy now. 

So I download the logs from the last 3 days. It does seem like something is wrong. I'm just not sure what.   I have added the log if any one could take a look and see whats going on.  Also it says the Write Cache is disabled on disk3. I have 3 cache drives. I have tried to enable the write cache on this drive but it won't. I have looked at the write that fix common problems linked to. the file I open and close every day is only 50mb. really 3 cache drives right now is over kill. 

velocityserver-syslog-20200123-0031.zip

Edited by ssmokeyy

Most errors on the log are because spin down doesn't work for NVMe devices, disable it for cache1.

If you have issues with read speed it won't have nothing to do with write cache, in addition to running an iperf test like mentioned you can also test read speeds from array or cache to see if they are the same.

6 hours ago, ssmokeyy said:

really 3 cache drives right now is over kill. 

So why use 3? Especially 3 different models, try with just one.

I have installed iperf but not sure how to use it. I have looked at there website and the whole thing seems unclear to me. I change the mtu size from 1500 to 9000 for jumbo frames. I have tested a a 64gb file size on my to my server and transfer speed steady was at 112mb's. I will check it on the remote computer in the morning. 

8am  Testing the remote into the server i get only 1.5mb's avg tops out at 2.77mb's  as low as 377kb's a second.  ping test is only 38ms to server from remote pc. remote pc internet speed is 178 mbps and 24mbps up.. What should i look at next. I change the setting for the nvme spin down and removed the 3rd ssd that was not working for the cache writing.  The dual br500 is rated to do 60 mb's a second over the vpn link. 

Edited by ssmokeyy