** VIDEO GUIDE How to setup a Bitwarden Server to use as your Password manager **

great video as always sir...

but im struggling and i dont know why.

not worrying trying to access from outside my network just now but i cant even seem to set-up a user from on my lan.

I have set signup container variable to true but when i load the webpage and try to create an account when i hit the submit button it does nothing... any idea?

ok so managed to create an account using the chrome extension and account shows up in the admin panel but I get the following error pop up when i try and login via the webUI

cannot read property import key as null

This only seems to be happening through the web UI... I can log in using the chrome extension and with the android connected via my wireguard VPN to my server..

OK so after lots of reading I note this is an issue with browsers based on chrome and not the docker itself. 

I'm guessing using let's encrypt and my own dynamic dns is the only way around this if I want to access the Web ui from anything other than android or the chrome extension ? Only issue u have right now is I can't import my passwords from dash Lane as the only route seems to be via the browse ui? 

Edited by enigma27
On 1/21/2020 at 6:29 AM, enigma27 said:

OK so after lots of reading I note this is an issue with browsers based on chrome and not the docker itself. 

Sorry, late to the party but I had this same issue. Website doesn't work in Chrome but works fine in Firefox in case this helps others.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot get onto the bitwarden login page when accessing it via the domain I've set up. I edited the conf file by inserting my domain name and saved it to the correct folder as spaceinvaderone instructs. 

Letsencrypt works correctly as I am self hosting a website on my server. I think there may be a problem with the config file? Any ideas? BTW I can access bitwarden correctly via ip address of my server.

I also run pfsense, so could it be a port forwarding issue?

#BITWARDEN
# make sure that your domain has dns has a cname or a record set for the subdomain bitwarden 
# This config file will work as is when using a custom docker network the same as letesencrypt (proxynet).
# However the container name is expected to be "bitwardenrs" as it is by default the template as this name is used to resolve.  
# If you are not using the custom docker network for this container then change the line "server bitwardenrs:80;" to "server [YOUR_SERVER_IP]:8086;" Also remove line 7

resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
upstream bitwarden {
    server bitwardenrs:80;
}

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    server_name bw.myserver.com;
    include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;
  client_max_body_size 128M;

location / {
   proxy_pass http://bitwarden;
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
  }

location /notifications/hub {
    proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
    proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
  }

location /notifications/hub/negotiate {
  }
}

image.png.7cc84936135737496db1ee17ddcdb7f2.png

Edited by bulletjie

First let me start by saying awesome videos.  I have successfully installed bitwarden on unraid 6.8.2 and it is working correctly.  However I didn't write down the admin token when I initially created it and now that I want to go back into the admin portal it shows hidden in the docker container settings page.  Do you know of a way to see the token or do I need to delete and reinstall this time keeping a copy of the token?

Thanks for your great assistance.

********** SOLUTION *********

found a way to view the key, it is under appdata\bitwarden in the config.json file which you can read via notepad++

Edited by mrlionman
found solution
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had installed the bitwardenrs previously and eventually deleted it. I wanted to try it again so I went and watched the video and followed along. I found a couple of things:

1) the "storage" setting on the template isn't there.

2) I tried to go to the "admin" (http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/#/admin ) page and it keeps returning to the normal login page (http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/#/ ).

Did I miss something when I deleted the previous install (which installed without any issues)? Did something change in this version of bitwarden? I did  delete the appdata/letsencrypt/nginx/proxy-confs/bitwarden.subdomain.conf afterwards.

Bitwarden Version 2.13.2

Unraid Version 6.8.3

Thanks

JimT

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting too many redirects errors

ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

When I try to access the web version of the password vault. Did I screw something up in the settings?

I recall this worked for a little while, but then stopped. I'm using bitwardenrs with my own domain, with a duckdns subdomain, bitwarden.kerlee.com. I added the CNAME for the subdomain, and followed all the other steps including the Letsencyrypt video instructions. Bitwarden works fine on my android phone.

Any idea on where to start? Thanks!

rubble-diagnostics-20200416-2139.zip

On 2/3/2020 at 3:57 PM, bulletjie said:

I cannot get onto the bitwarden login page when accessing it via the domain I've set up. I edited the conf file by inserting my domain name and saved it to the correct folder as spaceinvaderone instructs. 

Letsencrypt works correctly as I am self hosting a website on my server. I think there may be a problem with the config file? Any ideas? BTW I can access bitwarden correctly via ip address of my server.

I also run pfsense, so could it be a port forwarding issue?

#BITWARDEN
# make sure that your domain has dns has a cname or a record set for the subdomain bitwarden 
# This config file will work as is when using a custom docker network the same as letesencrypt (proxynet).
# However the container name is expected to be "bitwardenrs" as it is by default the template as this name is used to resolve.  
# If you are not using the custom docker network for this container then change the line "server bitwardenrs:80;" to "server [YOUR_SERVER_IP]:8086;" Also remove line 7

resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
upstream bitwarden {
    server bitwardenrs:80;
}

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    server_name bw.myserver.com;
    include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;
  client_max_body_size 128M;

location / {
    proxy_set_header Host $host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Proto $scheme;
  }

location /notifications/hub {
    proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
    proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
  }

location /notifications/hub/negotiate {
  }
}

image.png.7cc84936135737496db1ee17ddcdb7f2.png

I have almost the same issue. I can’t access locally bitwarden and create an account using a different browser. Microsoft edge. 
but can’t create https with letencypt. i know letencypt.  works with next cloud. Made sure I change the subdomain in the config file and made sure it spelled right in duck dns and letencypt. 

somehow when I use the link

mynamebitwaeden.duckdns.org it take me to next cloud. It should direct me to bitwarden!!

yes, i have it set up right i have "mynamenextcloud,mynamebitwarden". just like that. I watched the video many times.

i updated the config file he shared with mynamebitwarden.*  i don't know what else.

its working fine locally. i can access the web ui and set password in chrom. something not right with the config file i guess.

did you follow the video and it worked? did you change anything in Letencrypt config file other then the subdomain?

it's weird that it works with one browser, but not with another.  ?? Might be a browser issue.

There are two different setups duckdns, letsencrypt, and bitwarden/nextcloud

1. owning your own domain name and using sub-domains

WITH your own domain name: start at time 15:59

2. not owning your own domain name and using individual entries for each service you have.

WITHOUT your own domain name: start at time 13:44

DUCKDNS setup at time 7:27

Above you mentioned "mynamebitwaeden.duckdns.org" And you also said you had spelled everything right, that's good. And will be important. There are many typos other posts, so just be extra careful. Maybe time for a break?   :) 

You're getting close! I'd focus on the: letsencrypt, and duckdns entries.

Yes, my setups are working correctly, but I followed the "I have my own domain" instructions that involves my own DNS entries, which I don't think you deal with. Good luck, keep plugging away. You'll get there.

I believe it something wrong with the bitwarden config file in letencrypt. 

my nextcloud seem to work ok. 

if you don't mind sharing what do you use for domain, i may have to pay for a subscription. and if you can please share your Bitwarden config file of course with out your subdomain ;) .

thanks for the replies.

I used the exact file Spacedinvader uses on the youtube instructions. It's linked at Google Drive

I'm perusing the video again, he doesn't actually change anything. This code is unmodified from his linked download, and it's what I'm using. https://pastebin.com/SPvY7UD4

For my website, I use Host Gator for both my DNS and web-host. If you decide to get your own website URL, you'll only need DNS, not hosting. It should be cheap, like $10/year so long as you can pick an obscure enough name.

In my DNS at Host Gator, I setup a CNAME record, that points to drewshome.duckdns.org   Looks like this:

P91JPTG.png

Gvnd7tk.png

Ah, and that reminds me, I also have the Duckdns docker installed setup and running in unRaid spaceinvader on youtube howto.

None of this stuff is outside of what Spaceinvader put forward in his video. It worked for me. I'm pretty sure these are the bits you were asking for.

Edited by dkerlee

I have my duckDNS running ok. Like I said I followed Space invader Nextcould set and everything works fine. Means duckdns and let encrypt works. Although the weird part is when I use mynamebitwarden.duckdns.org the website get directed to my Nextcloud. I don’t understand why. I set up my next cloud with mynamenextcloud as subdomain. !!
i don’t understand what am I missing. 
i can’t use exactly bitwarden as my subdomain because I am using Duckdns for my subdomain and bitwarden is taken. So I called it mynamebitwarden. 
i even removed all subdomains from duckdns and letencrypt , stoped Nextcloud and left only mynamebitwarden just to try and still have and have error 502 bad Hathaway Nginx 1.16.1

I have gotten most of the way there with this. Used to be running a pf sense box but recently switched to a edgerouterX due to reasons of how my network is setup. Anyway, I can access my custom domain from outside my network, but not on my local network. At first it was redirecting all domains to my router webUI!!! (however this was only in my local network as I found out). had to change the ports the router used for the web UI to stop this but it doesn't go to my bitwarden webui on my network. closest i have had is loading the page on 4g on my phone then switching back to WiFi and this works and can go to different pages and stuff as long as i don't refresh. Anyone have experience with a similar setup and a edgerouter?

I had some issues with my router before, but ran into those issues when I was setting up Letsencrypt. My old router wouldn't let me redirect port 80 to a different port, like the Space invader Letsencrypt video instructed. Replaced the thing with a Netgear R7000 a nighthawk that could do all those things, worked great.

Also a modified static DNS, a pihole server.

Edited by dkerlee