[Solved] [Kind of solved] Screwed up USB migration

SNDS

EDIT:

@PeteAsking helped me out here as his solution of copying the original USB stick config folder allowed me to use the old 6.7.2 backup I had on the new stick, however it would seem that the kernel panic I was having MAY be due to upgrading to 6.8.1. I don't know if the Unraid devs will see this but please check on the following error in relation to 6.8.1 "RIP 0010 kernfs_name_hash+0x9/0x6d."

---

Hey folks,

Before you tell me I'm an idiot, I know that I screwed up, I just need some help.

I was trying to migrate my Unraid install to another USB drive as the one I used originally sticks out and could easily be damaged. In the midst of me trying to do so, when I attempted to boot to the original USB drive prior to migration I got the following kernel panic error "RIP 0010 kernfs_name_hash+0x9/0x6d."

From here I couldn't figure out how to get the server to boot despite trying a safe mode boot. I had an old drive backup that was accessible so I decided to try and get another license to map to the new USB stick because I couldn't migrate the previous key and use the old backup with the new key. This and using the old backup worked, however, the array configuration is old.

Some back history, I recently updated my drive configuration to have 2 new larger 12TB parity drives, I moved the previous 10TB parity drives into the main drive storage pool. I did this many days ago before upgrading the OS to 6.8.1. It worked fine in that configuration, but now, when I am booted into the server it still thinks the old 10TB drives are still the parity drives. Is there a way to override the array configuration? Or is there a way to fix the original USB stick so it doesn't get a kernel panic?

Can someone help me? I'm a layman trying to get things back to the status quo here to no avail.

Edited by SNDS
added update for issue and tagged as [solved]

So...I have a feeling the kernel panic was due to the upgrade to 6.8.1. For my part only 6.8 was stable. I say this because when I remade the USB stick with the old backup (6.7.2) and used the config files from the original stick, it booted up with the correct configuration and everything. I don't know if the guys at Unraid are aware of this issue but I won't be migrating to 6.8 until this gets fixed.

All in all, thanks @PeteAsking. The config migration solution worked. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Much appreciated. I was freaking out a bit, I'll be honest.

Edited by SNDS
  • Like 1