Downgrade firmware Asus BW-16D1HT Optical Drive

Noego

Hi guys!

I have an Asus BW-16D1HT in my unraid server. I use it to rip my DVD and blu-rays, so I can see them in Plex.

Now I have come to some of my 4k movies, but when I insert it, it gives me a fault with "no disc inserted" in the docker MakeMKV by jlesage. 

I have think I have found the solution on the MakeMKV forum (here), and it is to downgrade the drive. 

But I have no idea on how I should run the .exe file in unraid to do so?

Have anybody done this before?

Best Regards Noego

33 minutes ago, Noego said:

Hi guys!

I have an Asus BW-16D1HT in my unraid server. I use it to rip my DVD and blu-rays, so I can see them in Plex.

Now I have come to some of my 4k movies, but when I insert it, it gives me a fault with "no disc inserted" in the docker MakeMKV by jlesage. 

I have think I have found the solution on the MakeMKV forum (here), and it is to downgrade the drive. 

But I have no idea on how I should run the .exe file in unraid to do so?

Have anybody done this before?

Best Regards Noego

I had to downgrade an LG optical drive for the same purpose.  I did it in my Windows desktop machine before inserting the drive in the unRAID server; however, you can create a DOS bootable USB drive with Rufus and include all the necessary files on it for flashing the firmware.  Boot your server with that USB instead of unRAID USB and flash the drive.  Then you can reboot again with the unRAID USB.

Be aware that sometimes on server reboot the sgX number of the drive can change so make sure you know what the sgX number is (sg_map from the command line) and that the MakeMKV container is properly configured with the number.  Twice now I have had the sgX number change on me on server reboot.  This usually happens if you change drive configuration as I did when adding a new cache SSD and Unassigned devices SSD. If you make no other changes other than flashing the Asus drive you should be OK.

@Hoopster thank you! So I tried to follow the guide, by moving the optical drive to my other pc. But I get this error (See attached).

It is in danish, but what it says is that the access to the path is denied, and if I click continue it will ignore the error and try to proceed and if I press close it will close the program. 

Any idea on what to do here? 

image.png

17 hours ago, Noego said:

Any idea on what to do here? 

image.png

I don't read Danish (even though my surname is Danish and my ancestors came from the Aalborg area in the 1860s), so I will take your word regarding what it says. 😀

It looks like the .exe file is trying to run from a temp download directory which should be fine.  Try moving it to some other folder where you have full rights and execute it there.  If that does not work, you may try seeking help in the MakeMKV forums.  I found them to very helpful when I was flashing my optical drive a couple of years ago.

Perhaps this from Google search or something similar will help.  It sounds like a Windows persmission/security issue.

Edited by Hoopster

I figured it out!

I changed the settings as the search you found @Hoopster and then I flashed it from 3.10 to 3.10 MK, and then from 3.10 to 3.01. That way I was allowed to do the changes. 

Thanks for the help! 

And if you want to, I can learn you some danish ;-)

Edited by Noego