Ryzen system, 6 mo. in and still having reboot issues

Just now, damnshaneisthatu said:

Haven't set to overclock on CPU or mem. Ran memtest a few months ago to attempt to diagnose, but came out with 0 errors after 48+ hour test.

So everything is set to stock? No DOCP no memory set higher than 2133 or whatever "base" your board is any of that? (Just confirming)

3 minutes ago, Jerky_san said:

So everything is set to stock? No DOCP no memory set higher than 2133 or whatever "base" your board is any of that? (Just confirming)

DOCP? Isn't that an Asus thing? OP has a Gigabyte motherboard. OP's sig also says two 16 GB DIMMs at 2400, which is the appropriate safe maximum speed and is consistent with johnnie.black's table.

4 minutes ago, Jerky_san said:

I see nothing on the "OP"s post or profile that says any of this.

image.thumb.png.ac9f75c97efc5abe43afafd52b5755dc.png

Specs from my signature:

Version: 6.8.0  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (rev 1.0)  |  Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor  |  Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400  |  Parity: 1x Seagate 8TB Barracuda 5400RPM (ST8000DM004)  |  Storage: 3x Seagate 8TB Barracuda 5400RPM (ST8000DM004)  |  Cache: Kingston 240GB SSDNow SUV400S37/240G  |  NIC: Intel Gigabit CT

How "severely outdated" is your BIOS? You don't need the latest, with support for Zen 2 but ideally, for your CPU the last release that didn't support Zen 2, which for Gigabyte was F25 F32,* I think.

EDIT: I just checked and for your particular motherboard there's nothing between F5 and F30. I wouldn't go beyond F32 unless I was planning to replace the CPU with a 3000-series.

*Releases between F25 and F32 added support for Raven2 Athlon APUs.

Edited by John_M
More info
17 minutes ago, John_M said:

How "severely outdated" is your BIOS? You don't need the latest, with support for Zen 2 but ideally, for your CPU the last release that didn't support Zen 2, which for Gigabyte was F25 F32,* I think.

EDIT: I just checked and for your particular motherboard there's nothing between F5 and F30. I wouldn't go beyond F32 unless I was planning to replace the CPU with a 3000-series.

*Releases between F25 and F32 added support for Raven2 Athlon APUs.

F2

1 hour ago, John_M said:

To be fair, F2 on a B450 board should be fine for your 1700X. I haven't seen your diagnostics but your symptoms seem more hardware related. So, having excluded the RAM, I'd be looking at power. If you can show that the power is ok then you could up the BIOS to F5.

Thanks for all of your feedback. One last question, don't have an extra PSU lying around, any other ways to test this out?

On 1/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, damnshaneisthatu said:

Thanks for all of your feedback. One last question, don't have an extra PSU lying around, any other ways to test this out?

I don't suppose you have a spare AM4 motherboard, do you?

You could try unplugging both power connections and re-connecting them. Check that there's nothing shorting out, no extraneous standoffs in the wrong position occasionally touching the underside of the board, badly seated add-ons. With hardware problems you need to swap components in and out so it helps to have a few spares.

On 1/23/2020 at 8:00 AM, John_M said:

I don't suppose you have a spare AM4 motherboard, do you?

You could try unplugging both power connections and re-connecting them. Check that there's nothing shorting out, no extraneous standoffs in the wrong position occasionally touching the underside of the board, badly seated add-ons. With hardware problems you need to swap components in and out so it helps to have a few spares.

No, unfortunately not.

I suspect it is my unassigned VM SSDs and the molex to sata adapters causing my power woes. My new splitter cable is arriving in a few days and hopefully will tell me more.

• 2 months later...