Sign in to follow this  
kbbeer

Xeon Silver 4210 vs E-2136 - Buying Advice

1 post in this topic Last Reply

I purchased a Supermicro 846 that came with dual e5-2430L v2 chips around a year ago and I always intended on upgrading. I'm in the process now of finalizing my decision and came down to the 4210 and 2136. I'm aware they are very different chips and right now I'm leaning towards the 2136, but don't want to make the wrong decision.

I'm currently running Unraid 6.8.1 (nvidia patch version) along with a bunch of dockers (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, OpenVPN, Nextcloud, etc...). I have a P2000 which takes care of the majority of the plex transcoding lift. The main reason I could see the 4210 being a better chip would be for VMs, which I dont't currently run.

Any feedback would be helpful, I expect both chips will lower my power usage and be more responsive compared to the current. At this time I'm not open to considering Ryzen as I want to use a supermicro motherboard and had a lot of issues with gen1 so I rather stick with xeon.