Device is disabled, contents emulated.

Server is a PowerEdge T110 II

4 x 4tb drives (3 WD reds and a blue) 

500gb ssd cache

So I've run into a bit of a problem. One of my drives has failed. After a parity check disk 1 has 12,442 read errors and is offline with the error in the title. So...no big deal, I can pull it and change it for a good drive and my data should be safe...problem is.. my parity drive had 1847 errors on this check too. (It is online and my data seems intact).  I immediately went to BestBuy and got 2 8 tb Elements with the goal of replacing both the parity disk and disk 1. but I hit a wall.  The server refuses to boot with a 8tb drive in it and after digging a little it seems the mobo in this system won't support drives bigger than 4TB (maybe 6, finding conflicting info) I've ordered parts to put together a brand new server and should have them in a few days but I'm super confused as how to do this drive swappage switcheroo with the least chance of losing the data. 

Any advice on how to swap these out and in what order?

Both parity and disk1 are failing, so you can't do a standard replacement, are system notifications enable? Not usual for two disks to fail at the same time, especially on such a small array.

IMHO best bet is to use ddrescue to clone disk1 and then do a new config with a new parity disk.

P.S. you should also run an extended SMART test on disk3, it's showing some issues on SMART, though they appear to be old errors.

System notifications were not enabled. I didn't realize it was an option. I will definitely use that from now on. I set up this box like 4 months ago and it was (seemingly) working fine so I never bothered doing any maintenance or checking the drives or anything. The drives could have started failing at different points or even have been bad before setting up this server. They weren't new.  Lessons learned. 

I'm currently dumping all of the files to external drives and it's going smoothly ( 11 hours left) so my new plan is to put together the new system when all the parts get here and start with the drives wiped/precleared and do it all correctly this time. 

Disk 3 having problems is a bit odd since that drive is just a few weeks old. Also, it's a shucked drive so if it is indeed bad I can't RMA it or aything.  bah. 

Thanks much for the help! Off to read read read.

Disk3 should be fine, the error on SMART was at 814 power on hours, it's now at 6334, still since the parity check didn't complete it's good to make sure, something I forgot to mention earlier, parity checks should be always non correct, unless sync errors are expected, like after an unclean shutdown, because if a disk fails during a correcting check there's a small chance parity will get wrongly updated (corrupted).