how to test sas cables?

droopie

lost a few drives due to rebuilds of the drives and it popping up with so many errors the drives get disabled. long story short im new to unraid and have 1 day on my extended trial. what is the best way possible in unraid to test if my sas cables are good? i have 4x 4 port sata to 1 port sas on 2x HBA's. i actually have 2 extra HBA's because i go a little crazy on bids on ebay. what is the best way to test the sata connection to the drives without causing issues? should i unassigned parity 2 then reassign it so it rebuilds and i can look for errors?

If you're using LSI HBA's then there are fakes out there and any that aren't running firmware 20.00.07.00 are a risk of error due to bugs.

If the cables are bad, you should see smart errors in attribute:    199    UDMA CRC error count but you get the same error from faulty card or firmware.

You can trigger a manual parity check

Edited by Decto
3 hours ago, Decto said:

If you're using LSI HBA's then there are fakes out there and any that aren't running firmware 20.00.07.00 are a risk of error due to bugs.

If the cables are bad, you should see smart errors in attribute:    199    UDMA CRC error count but you get the same error from faulty card or firmware.

You can trigger a manual parity check

got my LSI HBA on ebay said it was IT flashed. how can i check  that firmware? 

havnt seen 199 errors in smart just a bunch of I/O errors in the disk log.