[6.8.1] MSI x470 wont boot without GPU

Hello all,

Pure newb here. I finished my first home media server today. I installed my 1070ti from my gaming rig to install Unraid and went in to the server remotely from my laptop. After confirming it was online and working I shut it down and removed the GPU. I am getting a VGA post error according to the LED's on the motherboard when trying to boot. Is there any way to bypass the boot halt with out installing a GPU? I have intentions too soon but would like to do some configuring in the mean time. The motherboard is an MSI X470 Gaming Plus.

Thanks for any help.

Consumer grade motherboards tend to need a graphics card if there's no GPU integrated into the processor. I'd suggest getting a cheap, low spec video card just to keep it happy. Even if you don't intend keeping a monitor attached it's very useful to be able to do so temporarily for troubleshooting. You can get something like a Radeon HD 6450 or a GeForce GT 710 for less than $£€40.

• 11 months later...

I faced the same problem

My motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max booted without a video card only after I changed the bios settings in the section Advanced -> Integrated Peripherals -> VGA Card Detection. In the "VGA Card Detection" field i changed the value from "Auto" to "Ignore". 

After that, the motherboard booted without discrete GPU without any problems.

Just in case, I'll say that I'm using the BIOS version E7B79AMS.HB1 (12/21/2020)
jpeg&owner_uid=0&tknv=v2&size=2048x2048

Edited by Bibop182