Hard drive performance 30+ concurrent streams

Hello all,

I'm given the opportunity to do a new NAS build. Currently I only use my Unraid box as a Docker host with my Synology 1817+ as a NAS. The Synology has been sold and is waiting for me to move stuff off. 

I am torn between sticking with Unraid as the new storage OS since I've used it in the past and enjoyed it, or entering into the world of FreeNAS or something like it. The reason is I'm concerned that another 'Game of Thrones' style show will come on and everyone using my Plex server (30-32 concurrent streams on peak nights) will all hit the same disk for the same show. 

FreeNAS has Unraid beat in performance due to striping but their inability to just add disks and restripe after is super obnoxious to me since I can't always buy a whole new set of matching disks to add to a pool. So Unraid wins in my mind in terms of ease of use but I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter.

Should I be worried about this doomsday scenario? Can 1 disk if hammered keep up? Will Unraid ever add Read caching to alleviate this? 

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I want to state that I have 8x 8TB drives I'll be cannibalizing from the old NAS along with 4x 14TB drives that just came in. If I did FreeNAS I'm imagining either 3 RAID-Z vDevs in one pool or 1 RAID-Z vDev with 1 RAID-Z2 vDev in one pool but thats all new to me. 

Edited by LilDog1291
drive clarification