Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (System) exists in a different case

ridley

I have had an error flag up by Fix Common Problems "Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (System) exists in a different case"

I can see that I have a "system" folder on disk 1 that has two folders in it docker (with a docker.img file in it) and libvirt (with a libvirt.img file in it) 

What is this folder doing here?  

What can I do to sort out the problem?

You need to use the Linux tools on this problem.  First open up a Terminal in the GUI.  (It is the     >_     icon on the toolbar.)

Now type the following command:

ls -al /mnt/user

You will get a list of all the user shares.  You are looking for the ones that are named    system or System or systeM or some other combination of capital and small letters that spell  "system".  

Now, here is what the problem is.  Linux assumes that all of these are different directories/folders.   Windows won't even allow you to create a folder named Text if text already exists!  SMB works using Windows rules but it is running on top of a Linux based file system.  So there is a conundrum of what to do when there is a situation when Linux file system has two directories (or files) with with identical names except for the capitalization.  Apparently what happens is that SMB passes on the first one it finds when scanning the file system.   Most people find the issue when files and folders are missing or randomly appear and disappear. 

Now, how does the problem come up.  It usually happens when a Docker or Plugin is being configured.  If the user enters 'system' when he intends the file to be stored in his existing share 'System'.  When the Docker (or plugin) goes to store a new file, it looks for the directory 'system'.  If it does not find it, it creates it and stores the file in that directory. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, sgt_spike said:

I am getting this same error.  What I have done is create a symlink from one share to another.  Would there be another way to accomplish this

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post. Since the OP hasn't visited this thread for a while I guess you can have it.

Feb 26 04:40:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (html) exists in a different case
Feb 26 04:40:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (HTML) exists in a different case

The lower case version doesn't appear in the diagnostics, but that may just be an artifact of the symlink.

The correct fix for this would be to only have one of these folders with all of their contents combined, and to figure out what you did to create the other one. Accidentally creating another user share with different case is a common result of using incorrect case in a docker mapping.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Feb 26 04:40:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (html) exists in a different case
Feb 26 04:40:01 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: Same share (HTML) exists in a different case

The lower case version doesn't appear in the diagnostics, but that may just be an artifact of the symlink.

The correct fix for this would be to only have one of these folders with all of their contents combined, and to figure out what you did to create the other one. Accidentally creating another user share with different case is a common result of using incorrect case in a docker mapping.

No worries....I just deleted the symlink.  I thought I was using it but I guess I went another direction to solve my problem.

No more errors!

Edited by sgt_spike