How to control power supply in expansion chassis?

jkBuckethead

Looking for a little room to grow.  Planning on using one of the currently available mini-ITX enclosures with 8 hot swap bays to house the drives and connecting to an external SAS HBA in the main system with a pass-thru in the back of the case.  I know that on a dollar per bay basis I would be better with a used server chassis, but I don't need that much expansion and I don't have anyplace to mount a server chassis.

My question is how to power the external chassis since I won't have a motherboard.  Do I really need something like the SuperMicro JBPWR2 Power Board or can I simply turn on the PSU with a jumper? 

If all I need is a jumper for the PSU, looking at this switch to make powering off and on easier. 

If I need something more, I also have an old ASUS AT5IONT-I board with an integral Atom CPU lying around collecting dust.  I'm thinking I could also use it to control the PSU, and it would just be in a constant state of failed boot without a boot drive. This would waste a bit of power, but with a 13W CPU not too much.

1 hour ago, jkBuckethead said:

I'm thinking I could also use it to control the PSU

Really depends on yourself. My external enclosure also use same method to control on and off during test phase. But in production phase, MB still seat there without any power connect, the PSU change control by a WiFi/remote apps electronic switch.

Thanks for the input, both of you.

8 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Cheaper to run a wire from one PSU to the other, connecting the green power signal lines. That way both PSU's will come up and shut down at the same time.

Not keen on the idea of splicing into my PSU cables.  I'd need a pair of 24-pin extensions so I could splice into them without permanent damage to my PSU cables.  Plus, I would need some sort of connectors at the back of the machine for easy disconnection when I need to move them.  Cheaper than the supermicro widget, but still probably $15-20 in parts.

8 hours ago, meep said:

Or use one of these

https://amzn.to/3aJo3Na

Both of these solutions would require additional cabling between the two enclosures.  I'm not aware of any off the shelf cables that would work for either option so I would have to rig something up using adapters and old cable parts.  I might even have to solder, which I suck at.  

I'm not concerned about keeping the PSUs in sync.  Except for upgrades and/or repairs, this server runs 24/7.  I think I'll try to stick with a solution that doesn't involve extra connections between the two machines.

17 hours ago, Benson said:

Really depends on yourself. My external enclosure also use same method to control on and off during test phase. But in production phase, MB still seat there without any power connect, the PSU change control by a WiFi/remote apps electronic switch.

Seems like your response is closest to what I want to achieve.  If nothing is connected to the MB, then you are controlling the PSU directly.  Not clear whether your remote switch is connected to the incoming power or the PSU output.  Please clarify how you are turning the PSU on and keeping it on. 

Did you install a permanent jumper on the 24-pin connector and now you are switching the power from the wall?

Or, is your electronic switch connected to the 24-pin connector?

Either way would confirm my thought that using a jumper to activate the PSU, whether the jumper is solid or switched, is all I need to turn the PSU on.

17 hours ago, jkBuckethead said:

Did you install a permanent jumper on the 24-pin connector

All is connect to 24pin PSU plug and the WiFi switch board have a relay output and connect to PSU plug ( green and black wire ) and last connect 5V_SBY ( purple wire ) to power up the module.

1.thumb.jpeg.e6e2711af44d851fd096bd399681fcd5.jpeg

But I extra extend the module onboard LED output to enclosure LED to indicate on/off status, also connect enclosure PWR switch to it to perform one touch toggle on/off function. The module just less then 8 USD. ( Direct buy at China market ). The build can detach anytime and no any modifications on PSU or Enclosure.

2.thumb.jpeg.14564459c9463d246059a5a779e693fd.jpeg 

Edited by Benson
On 1/26/2020 at 3:06 AM, johnnie.black said:

You just need to use a clip on the power supply, then power on/off using the back button, I also have a couple of these I got with Seasonic PSUs for a more elegant solution, if you can source a similar one:

Thanks, you've confirmed my thoughts. I knew I could turn on the PSU with a jumper, I just didn't know if there was a reason I shouldn't.