Slow Array Performance

3 hours ago, allanp81 said:

@RedReddington Is this when copying to array with cache drives or straight to disks?

Straight to a disk via a user share.

I think I have some I/O issues.

When starting a copy, I see values from 15-20% after a few seconds.

Is is possible that I have to many "streams" open from Unraid to my PC?

I can test it very easy when I mount an ISO on my PC from the array and then transfer files back via MKVToolNix to the array.

Edited by RedReddington

Hi there, 

Some more information will be required to help figure this out.  I don't see any reference to "expected results" and "attained results."  How fast are transfers going?  Got any screenshots or videos to show the behavior you are seeing?  Are you copying data to a disk that is also receiving other reads or writes simultaneously?  Please supply some more information so we can help you.

1 hour ago, jonp said:

Hi there, 

Some more information will be required to help figure this out.  I don't see any reference to "expected results" and "attained results."  How fast are transfers going?  Got any screenshots or videos to show the behavior you are seeing?  Are you copying data to a disk that is also receiving other reads or writes simultaneously?  Please supply some more information so we can help you.

Transfers are about 70-100 MB/s until it completely goes down to 0 after a while.

Also the file explorer in windows is freezing at the same time (tested from different windows pcs and one macbook).

This happens when I transfer files from the pc to unraid.

I also tested it with an ISO mounted from the array to the windows pc, where I do some MKVToolnix "backup" stuff back to the array (not the same disk where the iso is stored) - > Then it sometimes aborts the job and unmounts the iso.

At the moment I am testing a file transfer with 4TB of data from a disk attached via Unassigned Devices to a disk in the array (no cache) in Krusader.

There are several CPU_IOWAIT errors.

IOWAIT.PNG

Edited by RedReddington
19 minutes ago, RedReddington said:

No, most of the times it will go up again for some seconds.

I can make a video later in the evening to show what exactly is going on.

What speeds should be expected from 5400rpm spinners with 1 parity drive?

DiskSpeed Container reports results of 175MB/s+ per drive, that is what making me crazy.

You will get nothing like the raw disk speeds when writing to the parity protected array.    By default speeds of 30-40MBps seem typical.  You might find this description of the Unraid write modes of interest to explain why.

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

You will get nothing like the raw disk speeds when writing to the parity protected array.    By default speeds of 30-40MBps seem typical.  You might find this description of the Unraid write modes of interest to explain why.

Bingo!  That's part of the reason I wanted to see how the transfer looks.  Check out the link Itimpi sent for how things work in Unraid.  If you want faster speeds, you'll need to turn on turbo write (reconstruct write under the disk settings page) and that should improve things a bit.

11 hours ago, RedReddington said:

DiskSpeed Container reports results of 175MB/s+ per drive, that is what making me crazy.

This speed is literally unattainable over a 1gbps network.  Your network becomes the bottleneck as 1gbps translates to 125mb/s which when you add a little overhead is closer to 100mb/s.  That's your BEST case scenario and again, the only way you'll get there is with either A) a cache device intercepting those writes or B) turning on reconstruct write mode in the disk settings.

Yes I absolutely understand, that I can‘t expect those speeds.

But I expect speeds about 50-60 MB/s without dropping the connection here and there.

I have 2 Mellanox Connect X3 with a 1 to 1 connection to my pc, so gigabit isn‘t the bottleneck. iPerf resulted in a steady 950 MB/s transfer.

But it doesn‘t matter if I copy to my pc with 10 gig or to another notebook over the gigabit nic. The behaviour is exactly the same.

Unfortunately I couldn‘t find the time for a video today, but I can manage this tomorrow.

But when I copied the files from the unassigned disk to the array, transfer speeds were about 40-70 MB/s for the whole time, so it‘s a combination of smb and writing to the array that is bottlenecking.

Is it a problem to have an iso mounted on the pc and then use the content from that iso to create mkv files to another disk in the array?

From my understanding the disk where the iso is stored is only involved in reading and for the mkv files the parity disk and the other disk do both read and write. I saw some forum posts with „fsync“ streams issues in Unraid, is this sorted out?

So I could recreate the problem by simply copying an iso to they array without a cache drive involved.

It doesn't matter what share or drive is involved, it is the same behaviour for all of them.

At 40s it will start to go down and stops completely and in the end you can see, that the explorer also froze.

https://gofile.io/?c=MoxnrJ

Password is: unraidsmb

Adblocker needs to be disabled on this site for the password prompt to appear.

Edited by RedReddington