Unraid OS version 6.8.2 available

limetech

Just now, mifronte said:

I made a back up of my flash drive using the unRAID flash backup prior to updating to 6.8.2.  How do I revert back to it?  I need my server up and running.

You use the USB Creator tool to re-flash your flash.  Instead of specifying a release to put on the flash, you tell it to read from a zip file (your backup).

8 minutes ago, mifronte said:

Are there commands that I can run at the console to give my unRAID the correct IP and to get the GUI restarted?  It appears the only thing that is wrong is that the server is not using the correct IP.  Or does this mean the NIC driver is not working with my server?

Yes, log into console and type this command:

inet restart

If still no IP address you can copy the system log to the flash:

cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt

This wils show up in root of flash device.  Plug flash into PC to get it.

3 hours ago, F3nris said:

Upgrade bricked my USB key. Went from 6.7.2 > 6.8.2. I am unable to read the key on a PC or MAC.... 

That probably means the USB stick was going to fail shortly regardless.   The upgrade process is one time a significant amount of new data is written to the USB stick.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, F3nris said:

Upgrade bricked my USB key. Went from 6.7.2 > 6.8.2. I am unable to read the key on a PC or MAC.... 

Do you have a backup of your USB stick?

If so restoring is as simple as copying the backup back onto a new stick (or old stick if it still works - inability to read can mean a corrupted partition table, not a dead dead stick - but I would not trust it moving forward though). Then follow the procedure for usb stick replacement to get a new license.

If you don't then, well, you will need to manually set things back up from scratch. Your data should still be safe (unless you make silly mistakes like assigning a data disk to parity or click "format" without thinking, etc.). And remember to keep backups of your stick moving forward.

Last but not least, the upgrade itself didn't brick your stick, it just can't. The stick was already on its last leg.

Think of it like you have a car, you take it out for a drive to your in-laws and the engine dies in the process.

Do you blame the in-laws *cough* blame the drive to the in-laws *cough* for it? I would but I know it's really not the cause.

20 hours ago, itimpi said:

That probably means the USB stick was going to fail shortly regardless.   The upgrade process is one time a significant amount of new data is written to the USB stick.

Possibly, this is the second time its happened to me when doing an upgrade. I have been using 32gb sandisk ultra fit's to allow for lots of space in the hope this would reduce the overall wear to it. Maybe move to 64gb? The last time this happened was over a year ago.

20 hours ago, testdasi said:

Do you have a backup of your USB stick?

If so restoring is as simple as copying the backup back onto a new stick (or old stick if it still works - inability to read can mean a corrupted partition table, not a dead dead stick - but I would not trust it moving forward though). Then follow the procedure for usb stick replacement to get a new license.

If you don't then, well, you will need to manually set things back up from scratch. Your data should still be safe (unless you make silly mistakes like assigning a data disk to parity or click "format" without thinking, etc.). And remember to keep backups of your stick moving forward.

Last but not least, the upgrade itself didn't brick your stick, it just can't. The stick was already on its last leg.

Think of it like you have a car, you take it out for a drive to your in-laws and the engine dies in the process.

Do you blame the in-laws *cough* blame the drive to the in-laws *cough* for it? I would but I know it's really not the cause.

The drive was not being seen by any of the partition tools I quickly tried last night.  It did not have any warnings before the upgrade. Maybe if I get bored over the weekend I will pull out a linux laptop with some forensic tools to see if I can pull some info from it. However, being so cheap, not really worth the effort.

On a side note... Since I encrypted all of my disks, recovering the config was a bit more cumbersome this time around. I had a backup.... in a encrypted share.... Wouldn’t have been so bad if I had a recent screen cap of the drive assignments. The two parity drives will be finished rebuilding in little over an hour from now. I think I might add a old drive to mirror the flash backup to in the future. 

2 hours ago, F3nris said:

Possibly, this is the second time its happened to me when doing an upgrade. I have been using 32gb sandisk ultra fit's to allow for lots of space in the hope this would reduce the overall wear to it. Maybe move to 64gb? The last time this happened was over a year ago.

I would actually recommend that you avoid USB3 type drives completely as they seem to have much lower longevity than USB2 drives.    I suspect that this is because USB3 drives seem to run hotter than USB2 ones and that is not a good thing in a drive that is plugged in 24x7.   There is no perceptible performance advantage in using USB3 drives as after the initial boot Unraid runs from RAM so why pay more for less dependable drives.

I personally am currently using Sandisk Cruzer fit 16GB which has seemed to be fine, but if buying new ones I would probably avoid the nano form factor and  buy something like the Kingston Data Traveller SE9 as being larger and metal cased it should be better as far as temperature is concerned.

upgraded from 6.7.2 several times each time plex stops working i can see other servers web apps etc but my own server is non existent

im not the only one with this problem but there seems to be no answers so i am going to save my appdata folder and start again

i'll let you know if i find the answer

Edited by Anthony Hughes
update
3 hours ago, Anthony Hughes said:

upgraded from 6.7.2 several times each time plex stops working i can see other servers web apps etc but my own server is non existent

im not the only one with this problem but there seems to be no answers so i am going to save my appdata folder and start again

i'll let you know if i find the answer

i've seen this behavior once by myself, but several times by others. in any case it wasn't necessary to start over. but i just remember it can be a hassle, to get it recognized again.

latest case: friend couldn't use firefox to sign in locally to his server. it always used the plex.tv site to login in. after fidling around we used chrome browser and it worked immediately. you could also try to use this url once: http://[ip]:32400/manage

maybe some of it helps ;-)

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

I would actually recommend that you avoid USB3 type drives completely as they seem to have much lower longevity than USB2 drives.    I suspect that this is because USB3 drives seem to run hotter than USB2 ones and that is not a good thing in a drive that is plugged in 24x7.   There is no perceptible performance advantage in using USB3 drives as after the initial boot Unraid runs from RAM so why pay more for less dependable drives.

I personally am currently using Sandisk Cruzer fit 16GB which has seemed to be fine, but if buying new ones I would probably avoid the nano form factor and  buy something like the Kingston Data Traveller SE9 as being larger and metal cased it should be better as far as temperature is concerned.

Good points. Right now the usb has been in the back of the case at the IO. Considering your points, maybe I will get a usb IO cable for the mobo and mount it inside the case for airflow to help the longevity. 

On 1/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, limetech said:

Due to a security vulnerability discovered in forms-based authentication:

ALL USERS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO UPGRADE

Just a thought - it would be helpful to include this into the update message on unraid directly.

Not all of the Unraid users are on the forum everyday.

Im active here and I just have read this notification and luckily im already on 6.8.2 since a couple of days.

• Like 1

trying to upgrade to this version and the download stops at 8%. is your link ok?

it's teasing me!

18 minutes later:

Edited by Ockingshay
  • limetech unfeatured and unpinned this topic