(SOLVED) Memtest insta reboots before it starts...

Every time I select memtest from the boot options, I get one line of text (too fast to read it) then my machine reboots.

Google came up with this...

https://www.passmark.com/forum/memtest86/40884-memtest-reboots-before-test-begins

...think this is a 'multi processor' issue? My system...

Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

16g Corsair Vengence DDR4 RAM

Anyone encountered this before?

Edited by unraidun

Ermm from the wiki...

The memtest86+ tool supplied with Unraid will only work correctly if you are booting in non-UEFI (legacy) mode. If you want a version that can be run when booting in UEFI mode then you need to download your own copy from the memtest86+ web site.

Guess I need to download from memtests website and make a second bootable flash?

*well dang just made a bootable flash using the utility found on memtest.org (http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip) but it won't boot (just goes straight to bios).

Similar to the problem when first setting up UnRaid (it went straight to bios unless I checked the "Allow UEFI Boot" when running the flash tool). Is there somewhere in my bios where I can enable these 'non UEFI boot' devices? I enabled/disabled "Legacy USB Support", enabled/disabled "Fast Boot", but I don't see any other options relating to booting/UEFI...

Edited by unraidun
4 hours ago, unraidun said:

Is there somewhere in my bios where I can enable these 'non UEFI boot' devices? I enabled/disabled "Legacy USB Support", enabled/disabled "Fast Boot", but I don't see any other options relating to booting/UEFI...

My BIOS has a legacy boot mode option, but it's called CSM (Compatibility Support Module).  Google your motherboard model and some combination of Legacy, UEFI, CSM, etc.  Also go through your manual page by page.  I suppose it could be possible that you don't have that option, but it's unlikely.  

That should only be necessary when using the unRAID usb.  There should be a way to run UEFI if you make your own.  Perhaps try passmark's memtest86 v8 https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm ? 

wiki says v5 should support UEFI, and also confirms it was sold to passmark.  Free version is limited to 4 passes or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

Edited by robobub

Ahh cool yes there was a CSM section, so I enabled that, and set all the (4 or so) options to 'legacy/oprom' instead of UEFI. My memtest flash drive boots now!

I'll bet if I had enabled this earlier, my first unraid flash drive would have booted (instead I had to make a second one and enable the UEFI tick box under the "Customize" section).

• 2 years later...

Old thread, I know.  But I forgot about this and ran into the same problem after upgrading my memory yesterday.  I wanted to test my new memory properly before booting UnRaid completely.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why the PC kept rebooting when I chose the memtest option on the UnRaid boot menu.  I thought to myself "Maybe that's an old entry in the menu and doesn't work anymore?" and just downloaded the new version from the website and tested from that.  This brings up the point of my reply... Is there any particular reason why the UnRaid dev's haven't included the newer UEFI version of memtest onto the OS image?  Unless it's a licensing thing, I don't see the harm.  I would even argue that you could include BOTH versions, the UEFI and the CSM versions, unless it's a matter of storage space on the UnRaid image on the drive.  Just curious.  Seems like an unnecessary hurdle to have to change your BIOS over to an older legacy boot mode for RAM testing.  If I recall, when you first create your ISO image for the flash drive, don't you have to pick the UEFI option?  If that's the case, have it install the UEFI version of memtest if you select that option.

17 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Unraid includes the newest version that is licensed to be redistributed by third parties.

Ah-ha!  I had a feeling it was something like that.  Good to know.

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

The change I think would be worth making at the Unraid level is to change the boot menu when in UEFI mode to not include the memtest option since it does not work in that mode.   Perhaps a different entry that points out a version from memtest86.com is needed?

That's not a bad idea.  If it's not able to work don't offer it.  But if the boot menu is capable of detecting UEFI vs Legacy, a simple "Not available for UEFI, please download from memtest86.com" flag that displays only in UEFI would be nice.  It would at least remind you that it's not going to work and you won't waste your time trying to figure out why the PC keeps rebooting.

• Like 1

@limetech

Is the Unraid Boot menu code available anywhere?   I am interested in making the changes that would make the Unraid Boot Menu UEFI aware and handle memtest  entry accordingly.   Most of the work appears to be in the GUI code for maintaining the syslinux entries, but some small changes need to be made to the Boot Menu in UEFI and Legacy mode to handle the memtest part of it differently in the two cases.

IF you already have such a work package in hand then great, but if not I am prepared to offer my services to work on it.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Also what about Memtest86+?

Memtest86+ v6 is a unified, free, open-source memory testing tool, released under GNU GPL v2.0. The new v6 code base (originally called PCMemTest) was provided by Martin Whitaker, based on Memtest86+ v5, developed by Sam Demeulemeester. Both are now working on Memtest86+.

Memtest86+ is unrelated to 'Memtest86', a closed-source `Freemium` software released in 2013 by PassMark Software Pty Ltd.

It too supports UEFI along with legacy BIOS:

Memtest86+ is a stand-alone memory tester for x86 and x86-64 architecture computers. It provides a more thorough memory check than that provided by BIOS memory tests. Memtest86+ can be loaded and run either directly by a PC BIOS (legacy or UEFI) or via an intermediate bootloader that supports the Linux 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit, or EFI handover boot protocol. It should work on any Pentium class or later 32-bit or 64-bit x86 CPU.

Maybe it might be used instead of Memtest86, if it is of equivalent capabilities... Any ideas?

P.S: I have no affiliation, just searching for options...

• 3 weeks later...