Some questions

nikkinrob

I hope this is ok to post here, as was looking more for community feedback.

1) if I buy Unraid now and say test it out on my current server to get used to it and such, but in a month plan to get a new server can I move my Unraid flash drive over? Most likely would want to start over fresh. Can this be done?

2) raid setup. My intention is to run game servers on Linux and windows environments which will utilize most likely virtualization for. I plan to also do Nextcloud and duplicati as well as a small minor Plex server. For this setup I plan to utilize 2x 500gb SSD’s and 2x 4TB drives. For my setup what’s good raid for performance and redundancy 

thanks

22 minutes ago, nikkinrob said:

I hope this is ok to post here, as was looking more for community feedback.

1) if I buy Unraid now and say test it out on my current server to get used to it and such, but in a month plan to get a new server can I move my Unraid flash drive over? Most likely would want to start over fresh. Can this be done?

Yes, this should not be an issue. Done this myself a time or two.

22 minutes ago, nikkinrob said:

2) raid setup. My intention is to run game servers on Linux and windows environments which will utilize most likely virtualization for. I plan to also do Nextcloud and duplicati as well as a small minor Plex server. For this setup I plan to utilize 2x 500gb SSD’s and 2x 4TB drives. For my setup what’s good raid for performance and redundancy 

This is where things get more complicated. 

I would not run any VMs on the unRaid array. Write performance of the array is horrible at around ~50-60MB/s. I currently don't run any VMs on unRaid as I have it virtulizaed on ESXi.

You could/can put the VMs on the cache drives (your SSDs) and it will work well, but make sure your domains folder is Cache Only. That being said, when I did run VMs under unRaid I used a separate SSD for them using the unassigned plugin and was quite happy with that. 

Edited by Chess
Spelling errors
43 minutes ago, nikkinrob said:

Unraid is NOT RAID. You may want to watch SpaceInvader One youtube channel for more info before jumping in.

Also posting these kinds of queries in the Pre-sales Support forum may get you some more nuanced answers. Serious questions don't tend to get looked at in the Lounge. :)