DAS storage via scsi?

Hi ... i've rescued a good few Raidtec CS3102 (obsolete) storage boxes from being tipped. Why, i hear you ask?  Well, maybe, just maybe i can use it. Each one has got 12 sata hotswap bays but the interface is sata->ultra scsi 320 (x2 outputs). Just out of interest, given that i know absolutely nothing about attaching 'extra' storage to unraid, would this be do-able as extra storage for an unraid server. Obviously i'd need a scsi card inside my server but would unraid be interested in seeing whatever is hanging off the other end? I've seen others attach via sas->sata but ultra320scsi??

Edited by superloopy1
On 1/27/2020 at 5:06 PM, superloopy1 said:

Obviously i'd need a scsi card inside my server but would unraid be interested in seeing whatever is hanging off the other end? I've seen others attach via sas->sata but ultra320scsi??

Doubt Unraid will have many SCSI controller drivers, if any, I remember some time ago I installed a SCSI controller for data recovery on a SCSI disk and there wasn't a driver, had to use Arch Linux.

Thanks to the both of you! I'll stick a card in and see what's what then. The wiki suggests storage can be attached via SCSI so let's give it a go. Surely an Adaptec card should be supported? How can I check without hoping someone who does have a SCSI attached das can see this thread ... would be handy if it works.  How about SCSI to usb adaptor??

Just an update. Most of these das boxes power up just fine and I can get a web connection to their frontend. What I can't do however is check out the disk config because I'm missing a bit of software, now long depleted, called 'Raidtec Manager'.  Bit of a longshot but does anyone know whereabouts of said sw or have a very old archived copy on their box 😃. A bit off topic I know, but if I can get these working they will be used on unraid so there's my cover!

Edited by superloopy1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update and maybe someone can give me some advice. The SCSI controller card is in the server and shows up in its own group but no drives are being seen? Would this possibly need some configuring "pre-unraid boot" in which case I'll need to dig out a monitor and stuff or should I be doing anything within unraid to see them? The unraid wiki seems to say that SCSI attached devices should be ok. The fact that the controller card was even being seen makes me want to get this working if I can ... cheers!

Here you are ... i'm not confident that unraid will be able to see these DAS attached files despite what the wiki says about supporting block level files. Just wondering if a win10 vm may be the way to utilise? The card is available for passthru. My VM skills are limited (very!) however and i'd prefer the drives 'see able' by unRaid of at all possible. Ta!

ps .. this is a small test microserver i'm using, completely empty aside from what i'm trying to achieve.

tower-diagnostics-20200222-1327.zip

Edited by superloopy1

No driver is loaded:

03:04.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: ATTO Technology, Inc. Ultra320 SCSI Host Adapter [117c:0030] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: ATTO Technology, Inc. ExpressPCI UL5D Low Profile [117c:802f]
03:04.1 SCSI storage controller [0100]: ATTO Technology, Inc. Ultra320 SCSI Host Adapter [117c:0030] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: ATTO Technology, Inc. ExpressPCI UL5D Low Profile [117c:802f]

Not really a surprise:

On 1/31/2020 at 5:58 PM, johnnie.black said:

Doubt Unraid will have many SCSI controller drivers, if any

Unraid install strips all unneeded drivers/modules to keep it as small as possible.