drives i/o errors

droopie

started a new thread because i am not sure why i get disk disabled. i got new cables 4 sata to 1 sas for my hba's but i still have i/o errors. so i tried now a total of 3 different cables, 2 different hba's and always have the same results. could someone please look at the logs. im really losing hope! 

what i did was turned off the array then shut down the system. all was fine. swapped the cables to add the 2nd parity disks thinking it was a cable issue. turned on the system, started the array, and started a parity check before assigning parity 2 as to test the cable. instantly started with parity 1 errors then parity 1 got disabled. got the same results i have been gettitng since on the unraid trial for with 2 extended trials now. downloaded and turned off the system after canceling the check.

server-diagnostics-20200127-1745.zip

11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Looks like a connection/power issue, since you already replaced SATA cables do you have another PSU you can try?

no sir, dont have another PSU. this is actually a brand new PSU. its 600W so i thought it would be enough for 16gb of ram and so far only like 8 disks and a low end 950gtx. the gtx was just added to occasionally transcode plex and the objective was to passthrough to the vm but turns out my cpu 2600k doesnt support hardware passthrough. just took out the gpu, moved up the hbas up a pci slot so hba1 is on pci1 and hba2 is on pci2. started the server and did a parity check with the disabled disk being emulated. got no errors. so im going to unassign parity 1 and assign it again. hope that helps but dont know if its a temp fix. really depressed at this point :(

Edited by droopie
1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Doesn't mean it's not an issue. QC for computer stuff is pretty much ship it and let the end user find the dud.

Also, are all drives plugged directly in to the PSU cables, or do you have backplane or power splitters involved?

i got a 5x hdd splitter that connects to the hdd power on the psu. so got 3 of them but only 6 in actual use although i once had a total of 11 hdd's powered up. i had them all connected as unassigned devices in order to slowly transfer the data from those drives and adding them to the array after preclearing them. had no issues then but i did have issues with hard 2 drives that appeared to be bad. or maybe it was related to power i dunno. i pulled 2 drives out, started the array, and thats when it all went bad. 

after removing the gpu from pci1 and moving up hba1 to pci1 and hba2 to pci2, i have a cheaper regular pci card that requires no power connection and put that on pci3 and so far its reading 5 disks and rebuilding parity 1 without errors. if i am able to rebuild parity 2 ill be happy with that. bonus if i can add at least 1 more drive. 🤞pray for me 🙏

Edited by droopie
11 hours ago, droopie said:

i got a 5x hdd splitter that connects to the hdd power on the psu. so got 3 of them but only 6 in actual use although i once had a total of 11 hdd's powered up.

"That's not good" is very much an understatement. I have seen cable melted due to current from overloading HDD on a single lead so really, don't do that.

On 1/28/2020 at 6:05 AM, testdasi said:

"That's not good" is very much an understatement. I have seen cable melted due to current from overloading HDD on a single lead so really, don't do that.

ive changed it up to only split unload as much as i can from each actual sata ports coming from the power supply. it only has a total of 2x. was able to do a parity 1 rebuild with no issues then added parity 2 and errors again on parity 1. 

server-diagnostics-20200127-1745.zip