Integrated Memtest under UEFI boot

Update the integrated memtest utility to run on UEFI boots.

I downloaded the latest free standalone, and that boots fine as a standalone via UEFI: https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Is there the possibility to roll in the free UEFI compatible version? (Or perhaps remove memtest from the menu if UEFI boot is detected to avoid confusion)

Edited by cybrnook

I do not think licensing allows for the UEFI free version to be added to a commercial product.    Giving a different menu in UEFI mode definitely looks possible though.

interestingly enough I have just been looking into seeing what would be involved in changing the boot menu for UEFI boot.   It is not as trivial a change as it first appeared as it would also require GUI changes to take this into account.   If this is done I would think it would also make sense for the menu title to mention the boot mode that was used?

I think that would be a nice addition, if the boot menu (even if only staying up for 5 seconds) stated whether "Legacy" or "UEFI" boot was called out.

A nice belt and suspenders confirmation to users as well in case they were questioning whether it was in fact booting UEFI/Legacy, instead then booting all the way up into unraid and checking the flag there. Easier to CTRL+ALT+DEL in the grub menu and try again.

(I see what you mean by the licensing on their page, site license etc...)

Edited by cybrnook
8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The "menu" is a static text file.

There is no logic present to change this dynamically to reflect legacy or UEFI boot mode.

At the moment the UEFI boot menu is created by simply using an INCLUDE statement for the legacy boot one which is why they are identical.

I have already done some testing with separating out the elements that should be common between the two boot modes into a separate file (which I provisionally called syslinux.inc) and that allows for different boot menus between the two modes.    That made it it easy to only include the memtest boot entry in legacy boot mode.   The changes to the GUI I mentioned would need to reflect this change.

is the code for the boot menus available anywhere on gitHub that I could access?    I could then work on the changes and create an appropriate Pull request. I know the GUI code is available there)

I assume that was likely directed towards @itimpi , but, and this is just a straw man, but since today we already have to rename EFI- to EFI in order to set the thumb drive to UEFI boot mode, could the same also not be done in a way to select what menu is invoked during boot? So there is a legacy menu for EFI- and an UEFI menu for EFI?