Anybody Own - 4K Support Fanless Mini PC Mikrotik Pfsense

Badboy

Hi,

Anybody own one of these boxes? I'm thinking of adding one of these boxes to the Unraid server.  Read some good reviews, but then I read they run hot.

4K Support Fanless Mini PC Mikrotik Pfsense

I have been thinking of adding more security to the server.  I thought it was a good time to try this now because I have been having issues with my custom docker ips and my Asus RT AC5300, Merlin Firmware won't keep some of custom docker ips online anymore. The router is up to date and nothing else is dropping off the network. It could be an issue with the router, or a combination of docker ips and router, maybe network card. If I separate it with a Pfsense box I should be able to narrow it down and have more security.  Just trying to find the right Pfsense box with enough Lan ports so I can remove my switcher box. Need a minimum of 6 ports.

These fanless boxes do run hot (hot enough that it can warm your tea - not make it hot but make it warm-ish) but if you actually measure temp, it's still within spec so I would not be too concerned about temp (other than avoid putting sensitive things like plants near it).

I would also recommend running critical infrastructure e.g. router separately instead of in a VM.

As I have seen recently, users have been reporting problems with pfsense not happy with passed through NIC.

Edited by testdasi
16 hours ago, jpowell8672 said:

What's your Unraid server hardware? A lot of us run pfsense in a vm including myself, works great.

Hi,

Specs:

Cpu Ryzen 1700  (8 Core)

Board X370 Killer SLI

32g  Ram

Not going to run it in a VM. That's why I want to buy a good external Pfsense box.

Thanks

6 hours ago, testdasi said:

These fanless boxes do run hot (hot enough that it can warm your tea - not make it hot but make it warm-ish) but if you actually measure temp, it's still within spec so I would not be too concerned about temp (other than avoid putting sensitive things like plants near it).

I would also recommend running critical infrastructure e.g. router separately instead of in a VM.

As I have seen recently, users have been reporting problems with pfsense not happy with passed through NIC.

I don'[t wan't to run as a VM.  I will still have my router looped in somewhere.  Just researching the different boxes. I've seen the Netgate ones. A little more money but from what I understand they are a pretty good product.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

I was also searching for a fanless mini pc for pfsense & smart home control things. For me, the fitlet2 looks promising. It can also be extended with additional ethernet ports via a so called FACET card. However, looks like it consumes 12 watt at idle. If this is not a problem for you and you dont‘t mind that the fitlet might be oversized performance-wise, it seems like a good deal. The company behind also manufactures the MintBox for the Linux Mint project.