Control fan speed based on drive temp...

I'm trying to control my case fan speeds based on the temps of my drives (for an Asus X570-Plus). I only see one community plugin relating to fan speed (Dynamix Auto Fan Control), however after trying it the PWM dropdown just displays 'none' and the 'detect' buttons do nothing. And  I'm not even sure if this plugin can control speed based on drive temps (or if the plugin is even still supported).

I posted on the massive 'Dynamix' thread over on the plugins forum, but I'm curious if there is any alternative way to control the fans. From bios I can set profiles, but they're all based on the MB temp sensor. It seems like a pretty common feature request for a NAS centric OS, I'm surprised unraid doesn't have any built in way to do this...

So how do you guys control your drive fans?

2 hours ago, Michael_P said:

Fan controller with an external probe is how I'd do it

Hrmm dunno about that... Seems like that would give you an inaccurate reading for one drive at best. I want to make sure as soon as ANY one drive in the array gets a little warm, the fans (3 front + 3 on the internal fan wall) all ramp up.

Bleh... Well decided that the above tutorial was the only option available, but it also looks like it's missing something.

The very first step (run sensors-detect) doesn't contain anything about "#----cut here---- # Chip drivers".

A little googling seems to suggest maybe I need to add 'coretemp' drivers to /etc/modules? Confirm/deny? And if so, how?

Has anyone been able to successfully implement the above tutorial?

Edited by unraidun
  • 1 month later...

I've no idea if this is helpful, but one of the SpaceInvader videos goes into essential plugins and one of these is Nerd which installs Perl which allows you to monitor coretemps etc. I'm totally out of my depth and just 'do as I'm told by those who know more' with this kind of thing . . . but maybe it's something to investigate?

• 1 year later...

Going to resurrect the dead here, but I hope this can help someone else instead of spending the time that I did on it.

If you are having trouble with unraid not finding a PWM controller, try adding the following to your syslinux config (under flash)

acpi_enforce_resources=lax

For example, but regular boot is "Unraid OS"

And the configuration is:

kernel /bzimage
append initrd=/bzroot acpi_enforce_resources=lax

With that I was able to set a PWM controller and use the plugin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, unraidun said:

Bleh... Well decided that the above tutorial was the only option available, but it also looks like it's missing something.

The very first step (run sensors-detect) doesn't contain anything about "#----cut here---- # Chip drivers".

A little googling seems to suggest maybe I need to add 'coretemp' drivers to /etc/modules? Confirm/deny? And if so, how?

Has anyone been able to successfully implement the above tutorial?

Did you find à solution for this?

On 3/31/2021 at 3:26 AM, benyaki said:

Going to resurrect the dead here, but I hope this can help someone else instead of spending the time that I did on it.

If you are having trouble with unraid not finding a PWM controller, try adding the following to your syslinux config (under flash)

acpi_enforce_resources=lax

For example, but regular boot is "Unraid OS"

And the configuration is:

kernel /bzimage
append initrd=/bzroot acpi_enforce_resources=lax

With that I was able to set a PWM controller and use the plugin

Won’t work for me :(