Replacing a Data Drive guide help

Hitcher

Need a little help regrading the Replacing a Data Drive guide at this part -

4. [ Optional ] Pull the old drive (you may want to leave it installed for Preclearing or testing)

I'd like to know how to preclear the old drive before installing the new one as this isn't explained in the guide and at that point the array is powered down.

Thanks.

PS. I'm installing a larger drive so there's nothing wrong with the old one I just want it cleared before removing so reformatting is also an option but I don't want to get the procedure wrong and have the Unraid think I'm deleting the array data.

Edited by Hitcher
19 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Need a little help regrading the Replacing a Data Drive guide at this part -

4. [ Optional ] Pull the old drive (you may want to leave it installed for Preclearing or testing)

I'd like to know how to preclear the old drive before installing the new one as this isn't explained in the guide and at that point the array is powered down.

Thanks.

PS. I'm installing a larger drive so there's nothing wrong with the old one I just want it cleared before removing so reformatting is also an option but I don't want to get the procedure wrong and have the Unraid think I'm deleting the array data.

You cannot pre-clear a drive that is currently allocated to the array.

You are probably over-thinking things :)  I would just rebuild to the new drive keeping the old one intact in case anything goes wrong during the rebuild process.  Once you are happy that the rebuild has been successful, the old drive will no longer be part of the array can just be pre-cleared (if it needs it) in the normal way.

11 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Trouble is I don't have any more slots so they'll be using the same one.

In which case I would remove the old drive and go ahead with the rebuild onto the new drive putting the old drive aside for the time being.   You really want to keep the old drive intact during this process if you are at all risk adverse.

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

OK, and how would I format/preclear the old drive afterwards?

Connect it back to your server using SATA (if you have spare SATA ports) or via USB and then run the preclear plugin.

Note: only do that if you are 100% sure all data has been restored because it will very certainly wipe everything.