failed parity and data drive

ksman75

Today, my parity drive went "red x" as well as one of my data drives.

Parity drive first...WD Red that I bought black Friday 2019. I can access its smart page, and run the smart self test, but unRaid  flags it with a red x. I've swapped it and my second parity drive and the problem follows the drive so I don't think it's my drive bay, or cable.

Disk 2...WD Blue that I bought Christmas 2019. Just flaged with the red x. I can access its smart page, and run the smart self test, but unRaid  flags it with a red x too. Reseated the drive and it's still showing bad. Now it says it's saying Unmountable: No file system.

If I format disk 2, will I loose the data that was on it, or have I already lost those files? 

Should I run a parity check/rebuild?

Not sure where to go from here.

unraid-smart-20200130-1319-parity.zip unraid-diagnostics-20200130-1316.zip unraid-smart-20200130-1228-disk2.zip

Diags are after rebooting so we can't see what happened but disks look fine, so likely some connection/power issue.

9 hours ago, ksman75 said:

If I format disk 2, will I loose the data that was on it

Yes, format is never part of a rebuild/replace.

Check filesystem on the emulated disk, if it's fixable and it mounts correctly and data looks OK you can then rebuild on top, you can also re-sync parity at the same time, but suggest replacing/swapping cables (both SATA and power) on both disks first to rule that out.

SOLVED...sorta.

I tried the "Check Filesystem" tests and everything tested good, but the two drives were still marked as bad. I went to "Tools" and chose "New Config", keeping all my settings. Both drives were being flagged with more errors than was possible. I created a "New Config" without keeping my assignments, with the same results. Errors!

I'm using a Zalman MS-800 case three 5 in 3 drive cages/backplanes (two ICY-DOCKs and one Chenbro), two LSI 9207-8i HBAs and supermicro fan-out cables. From top to bottom, left to right, I have my two parity drives followed by my data drives, and my two cache drives on the bottom. To further eliminate power/cable problems, I reversed all my drives except for the cache drives. My new configuration is from bottom to top, right to left, with the two cache drives followed by the two parity drives, then my data drives.

With a "New Config", I added/assigned one drive at a time, started the array, waited a minute or two, stopped the array, then started it again. Doing this with each drive in turn, it took a couple of hours, but every single drive came back online with no errors or loss of data. I finally added/assigned my two parity drives, and am now rebuilding parity. So far, I haven't encountered any problems or errors.

Have I solved this? Only time will tell, but it's looking good for now!

16 hours ago, ksman75 said:

I tried the "Check Filesystem" tests and everything tested good, but the two drives were still marked as bad. I went to "Tools"

That's expected:

On 1/31/2020 at 7:37 AM, johnnie.black said:

if it's fixable and it mounts correctly and data looks OK you can then rebuild on top

By doing a new config you basically reverted back to the actual disk instead of emulated one, so now you need to check filesystem again, but if by

16 hours ago, ksman75 said:

with the same results. Errors!

You mean disk errors we need new diags.