Adding 10gig to my Asus-TUF-X570-Plus...

So I went with this Asus-TUF-X570-Plus motherboard...

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B07SXFK1TP

...thinking it could easily be expanded with a 10gig pcie card down the road. However, I'm now realizing that the two pcie x16 slots are being taken up by my video card (needed due to no cpu video), and my LSI 9211-8i (needed due to only 8 onboard sata ports).

So that leaves 3 pcie x1 slots... I thought they made pcie x1 nics, but I can't seem to find any. They do make Thunderbolt 3 10 gig adapters... But does this MB support Thunderbolt 3? It has a USB C port, but I didn't think that was always the same thing...

What are my options here?

Thanks

*Ok hang on a second, why didn't I just buy two of these instead of this LSI 9211-8i...

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Splitter-Controller-Expansion-Non-Raid/dp/B07KNXZFRH/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvc_xBRCYARIsAC5QT9kQnpw0x9IsIiGDcrpbrLffV3RFjzWi_bcwCE4CK_5HKZRwsfQV9UUaAkFLEALw_wcB&hvadid=390347716502&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030794&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4877827003080337123&hvtargid=kwd-833444068722&hydadcr=25684_10972881&keywords=pcie+x1+sata+expansion+card&qid=1580508496&sr=8-4

Won't two of those effectively replace the LSI card? And they will free up the one remaining pcie x16 slot to be used for a 10g nic?

Edited by unraidun

Hrmm all the  Asmedia 106X I found are on Ebay, shipping from China so won't get here till late feb early april (but they come with one free Coronavirus).

The JMB582's seem to be 30+ bucks, seems a bit pricey for a 2 port card.

I suppose these would work... but any other options?

*And do I need to worry about bandwidth? My MB is PCIe gen 4 if that matters... I would think a x1 slot can handle 4 HDs (200ishMB sec reads), so 800MB total, right?

Edited by unraidun
On 1/31/2020 at 10:39 PM, unraidun said:

So I went with this Asus-TUF-X570-Plus motherboard...

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X570-Plus-Motherboard-Lighting/dp/B07SXFK1TP

...thinking it could easily be expanded with a 10gig pcie card down the road. However, I'm now realizing that the two pcie x16 slots are being taken up by my video card (needed due to no cpu video), and my LSI 9211-8i (needed due to only 8 onboard sata ports).

So that leaves 3 pcie x1 slots... I thought they made pcie x1 nics, but I can't seem to find any. They do make Thunderbolt 3 10 gig adapters... But does this MB support Thunderbolt 3? It has a USB C port, but I didn't think that was always the same thing...

What are my options here?

Thanks

*Ok hang on a second, why didn't I just buy two of these instead of this LSI 9211-8i...

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Splitter-Controller-Expansion-Non-Raid/dp/B07KNXZFRH/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvc_xBRCYARIsAC5QT9kQnpw0x9IsIiGDcrpbrLffV3RFjzWi_bcwCE4CK_5HKZRwsfQV9UUaAkFLEALw_wcB&hvadid=390347716502&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030794&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4877827003080337123&hvtargid=kwd-833444068722&hydadcr=25684_10972881&keywords=pcie+x1+sata+expansion+card&qid=1580508496&sr=8-4

Won't two of those effectively replace the LSI card? And they will free up the one remaining pcie x16 slot to be used for a 10g nic?

Do you use: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ? Going to buy it self to my unraid, it work?

7 hours ago, knutarn said:

Do you use: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ? Going to buy it self to my unraid, it work?

Yup seems to be working fine so far (although I've yet to actually build my array, still just pre clearing 100TB of disks). Just make sure you either build your flash drive with UEFI support (click the hidden tick box in the unraid flash maker wizard) or enable the CSM legacy features when trying to boot your unraid flash.

The only concern with this board is the limited PCIe slots (assuming you want to add a 10g nic), however I think these PCIe x1 sata expansion cards could solve that problem (assuming you need more than 8 sata ports). 

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It is, mainly because it's PCIe 3.0, might or not be worth depending on what you will connect there, you can see here for some performance tests with both.

Thanks! That comparison is very helpful.

So it sounds like the main problem with the Marvel cards relates to having IOMMU enabled, but in RobJ's post he hinted at a potential patch to fix it? Can anyone confirm this is no longer an issue?

Ordering two of those 9215's (which according to your tests, would give me 200MB if I only used two ports), would give me exactly what I need...

Edited by unraidun
3 minutes ago, unraidun said:

Yup seems to be working fine so far (although I've yet to actually build my array, still just pre clearing 100TB of disks). The only concern with this board is the limited PCIe slots (assuming you want to add a 10g nic), however I think these PCIe x1 sata expansion cards could solve that problem (assuming you want more than 8 sata ports). 

Thanks! That comparison is very helpful.

So it sounds like the main problem with the Marvel cards relates to having IOMMU enabled, but in RobJ's post he hinted at a potential patch to fix it? Can anyone confirm this is no longer an issue?

Ordering two of those 9215's (which according to your tests, would give me 200MB if I only used two ports), would give me exactly what I need...

Cool. Going to make this:

Tower: Thermaltake The Tower 900 - Black

Motherbord: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, S-AM4 

Pros: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Nettwork: ASUS XG-C100C ?+? or can i use network on the motherbord

Ram:  2x of  G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 RGB 3200Mhz 32GB (2 card pr set) 

HDMI to VGA: ICY BOX DP - HDMI/DVI-D/VGA adapter  

Can I use HDMI with HDMI to VGA adapter on this bord to get screen? :)

15 hours ago, unraidun said:

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, still the 9230 seems to be the more affected, 9215 usually works better, though slower.